Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pre-reg outline plan? subjects to be covered to prepare a student 2 become a pha'st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-reg outline plan? subjects to be covered to prepare a student 2 become a pha'st

i am aware some of you" pharmacist", if not all, had some pre-reg students before and had a plan to sort them up through out the year.
    i explained my situation before, i got this training in a pharmacy but the permanent pharmacist was moved to a newly opened branch on my 3rd day and now different locums come daily" so far i have met 4 within 7 working days, but i guess its gonna be them all the times.
    i find it a bit hard to go along with all of them, each person has his own way of doing things and only come to fill in the hours needed and go home.

can someone provide me with a PLAN or TOPICS to be covered so i WORK on them during the coming 2 months and make sure to ask the available locum for help and to explain things to me?
    even some bullet points might be useful as a start but if any of you pharmacist have a PRE-reg plan this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Re: pre-reg outline plan? subjects to be covered to prepare a student 2 become a pha'

Ray,
    Am not a pre-reg tutor, but have been carrying the "mortar and pestle" since 1981.
    What makes a good pharmacist...
    1. When dispensing look back on the PMR to get an idea of the patients drug history. Note anything that you would like to query with the customer on a post-it to attach to the dispensing bag. If it is really important - you can ask them there and then. An example of this would be "Anticoagulant check", or "confirm patient expecting 5mg Ramipril. Previous rx 2.5mg". If someone is calling back and you want a word with them, put a note on the bag.

2. Become familiar with treatment guidelines for various disease states. Asthma, Cholesterol etc.

3. PMR systems give up lots of interaction messages. Become familiar with the ones that really matter. Sometimes the ones that don't matter do matter for a small number of cases - find out circumstances when they will and look out for them.

4. Community Pharmacy is just that - dealing with people. It takes time to start to learn how to do this and you are constantly improving after dealing with each person. Eventually you are able to give out bad news but have people thank you for it.

5. Read your BNF.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Re: pre-reg outline plan? subjects to be covered to prepare a student 2 become a pha'

Pre-registration tutors have a responsibility to spend a minimum of 28 hours over at least 4 days a week working alongside trainee. See FAQ 7 here: http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/preregtutfaqs.pdf

If your tutor/company is not compliant with this then voice your opinion (ask to be moved to same store as tutor/change tutor...). If you are ignored put complaint in writing to head office. If nothing improves complain to RPSGB.

You should not have to put up with no proper training.

In the meantime, chat as much as you can to each locum about how they work/any tips they have for you.

Comment

Thank you N.T, i still have 1 year to qualify and start my pre-reg. but i was hoping to get a better insight and more experience during my summer over here, thats why i requested any plan/form from any pharmacist around.
        cheers
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

thank you , this is good as a start. i will make sure to practice some of these tips.
          today when "important interaction" box pops up while using ECLIPSE dispensing system, i was told to check 1- if they had the drug before 2- if the interaction with the drug they been dispensed in the past 2-4 weeks( not few months ago). if the red box" severe interaction" comes up, check with the pharmacist as he should call the prescriber to double check with him.
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            Thank you N.T, i still have 1 year to qualify and start my pre-reg. but i was hoping to get a better insight and more experience during my summer over here, thats why i requested any plan/form from any pharmacist around.
            cheers
            Ah, I understand now. I thought you had already started pre-reg.

Well, in this case just learn to 'appreciate' as many styles of locuming as you can. Learn to differentiate good from bad, and follow the good examples!!

Comment

thank you, i will try to
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X