Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average salary of a UK retail pharmacist - the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average salary of a UK retail pharmacist - the truth?

Someone posted in a different forum(urch.com) that UK pharmacists earn as much as US pharmacists, around $60. Is this true? Then why does the statistics in "http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/salarysurvey" differ?

Also, are the salaries same across the country?(England, Wales, Scotland, etc.)

Re: Average salary of a UK retail pharmacist - the truth?

Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post
    Someone posted in a different forum(urch.com) that UK pharmacists earn as much as US pharmacists, around $60. Is this true? Then why does the statistics in "http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/salarysurvey" differ?

Its supply and demand in the UK, just like everywhere else.
    If you avoid London where there is an over-supply and living costs are higher you can expect to be above UKP37,000 minimum. If you want to life your life to work, you can top UKP50,000. Nice if you are single, but hard to balance family life if you are doing a 168 hour week.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

oops! I was asking if it were 30 pounds per hour($60 in above previous post meant per HOUR)

Comment

No average is stg22/hr.
        johnep

Comment

in my experience and through research, a pharmacy manager's pay equal closer to GBP20 per hr if not lower, this doesnt take into acoount bonuses etc... while a locum in the comunity is closer to £25 per hr.

obviously there is a strong supply demand relationship, and i've heard from non-pharmacy related people where they know of instances where pharmacists have walked out with £300 for four or five hours work in community pharmacies (probably because of an emergency). so the rate in london of say £22 for locums is understandable, especially now with european pharmacist making their way over the channel.

but even with all of the above : £22 per hr locum full time (45hrs) for 48 weks a year (4 weeks holidays) is £47,520, the highest manager wage for a realistic position would only top £45,000.

also consider:
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by aussiepharmer View Post

$60 per hour would be about 30gbp per hour. This is higher than what I've seen posted on this sight (I'm an outsider looking in). $60 per hour in the U.S. would be high....maybe California..but cost of living extraordinary. I would say right now most pharmacists here in the states are in the low $50 per hour range. Considering the cost of living here, more expendable income versus the UK. However you must keep in mind that the figures people quote are "averages". Some will be above and some below, depends on position held, experience, etc.

Comment

Rates are from £35k to around £55k if you are a manager assuming a 40ish hour week.

Depends on the work load and how good you are.

Can you put 20% on the business in your first year, if so ask for the higher figure! If you want to use the phone and do the bear minimum as its below you to dispense, expect to get paid less.

Salaries are highest in England (highest in London but then so is the cost of living) Scotland is a bit lower (but its a nice place to be). No idea about Wales, I've never worked there and don't know any pharmacists there.

Comment

I am a locum in Scotland. Currently Alliance (Moss) pay £18.80 per hour here in Scotland. Is this the same as in various parts of England and Wales. Wasn't there a case a few years ago against Lloyd's where a locum was getting less per hour in Scotland than England? He succesfully challenged this at an employment tribunal.

Comment

I heard about the case--did he win? I thought he lost as he took the race discrimination line and was told Scots were not a different race.

If he won, pharmacists in Northern Ireland should take up the case that they want to be paid as much as the Scots!

Comment

Scots resident in England caught out by advertising for Scots lady to do housework back in the 60s or 70s.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
                      Rates are from £35k to around £55k if you are a manager assuming a 40ish hour week.

Depends on the work load and how good you are.

Can you put 20% on the business in your first year, if so ask for the higher figure! If you want to use the phone and do the bear minimum as its below you to dispense, expect to get paid less.

Salaries are highest in England (highest in London but then so is the cost of living) Scotland is a bit lower (but its a nice place to be). No idea about Wales, I've never worked there and don't know any pharmacists there.
                      This is close to the real world. Some pharmacists earn a lot more than £55k when they have experience, manage busy/difficult pharmacies and manage to achieve performance targets eg MURs etc.

A common complaint is that newly qualified pharmacists start on comparably big money but it never goes up. A pharmacist who has an excellent relationship with local surgeries, patients, staff and who does a good job of efficiently managing a busy pharmacy can make him/herself irreplaceable. Consequently significantly higher salaries may be achievable working for small independents over time. Don't expect a particularly high salary on a council estate with no surgery and a steady trickle of patients each day.
                      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                        A pharmacist who has an excellent relationship with local surgeries, patients, staff and who does a good job of efficiently managing a busy pharmacy can make him/herself irreplaceable.
                        That's the trap that as a career locum I have to avoid. Hence my commitment to a team approach that works without me.

Nurses are good team members - ones from local nursing homes, used to dealing with the elderly, and already known by the relatives of those they have cared for, and wise to the needs of the care home environment. Don't suppose you could find one who wants to re-train as a tech and is into websites ;-)

Jeff

Comment

any updates :P
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

No?
                            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post
                              I am a locum in Scotland. Currently Alliance (Moss) pay £18.80 per hour here in Scotland. Is this the same as in various parts of England and Wales. Wasn't there a case a few years ago against Lloyd's where a locum was getting less per hour in Scotland than England? He succesfully challenged this at an employment tribunal.
                              I was paid £25 per hour for locuming on Saturdays in England, (I am newly qualified) .

Comment

Working...
                              X