Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dexedrine:"Manufacturer can't supply"-saga...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexedrine:"Manufacturer can't supply"-saga...

...Anyone got any (legitimate!) ideas about how to obtain 140 dexamphetamine tablets for my patient? AAH have had no stock for at least a month...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Re: Dexedrine:"Manufacturer can't supply"-saga...

try another wholesaler!!!!

Comment

Sorry, I think it's everywhere. A patient came to me with a prescription for 16. We rang all the pharmacies in the area and asked them to reserve for him the stock they had, and asked the GP for prescriptions for each of the pharmacy.

Comment

Try manufacturer directly in case they can allocate you some impounded or unlicenced stock. Maybe it failed QC or something?

I'm just thinking of the situation a few years back with stelazine spansules.

Comment

Phoned UCB today. Should be back in stock next week.
          johnep

Comment

Just wondered if shortage tied up with restrictions on chemicals to make amphetamines, or possible diversion to manf of crystal meth. UCB could not give me a good reason for dexe shortage.
            johnep.

Comment

I 'phoned UCB this morning too; they also told me that Dexedrine should be back in AAH by next week, but they tell me that they haven't experienced any shortages in supply of Equasym XL 30mg, yet AAH say "regret no stock" since end of jan '08...?!?
              Who's telling the truth?
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                they haven't experienced any shortages in supply of Equasym XL 30mg, yet AAH say "regret no stock" since end of jan '08...?!?
                Who's telling the truth?
                AAH mustn't have paid their bill!

Comment

AAH supplied me with 12 boxes last week which I had placed on back-order for a daily paitient. The day they arrived (I kid you not) he was taken off Methylphenidate/Dexamphet completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                    I 'phoned UCB this morning too; they also told me that Dexedrine should be back in AAH by next week, but they tell me that they haven't experienced any shortages in supply of Equasym XL 30mg, yet AAH say "regret no stock" since end of jan '08...?!?
                    Who's telling the truth?
                    Everyone - try phoning AAH and seeing if they can transfer some from another branch.

Failing that borrow from competitor/colleague who has different wholesalers or send the script and patient to a pharmacy that isn't as restricted in it's supply chain.

Jeff

Comment

And again there appears to be a manufacturing issue.

Less information about when supply will be back to normal....

UCB(marketing co) is in Slough, not one pharmacy has stock. If anyone in Berkshire locality knows of/has stock please let me know

This is the 3rd such delay this year. Wonder what the reasons are.

Comment

I just got of the phone with the nice people at UCB Pharma. OK, from now on it has to be ordered direct from UCB(who have stock, now). Apparently this has been the case since 1st April and from what I could gather is due to 'illegal diversion'. From where? to where? of course this drug has a fair bit of it at street level but at manufacturing level? If I was gonna divert something like a CD I'd at least do it with something with more street cred!(Oxycontin 40mg's-£40 each anyone?)... shhhh seriously I just dont see diversion at this level and what would ordering direct solve anyway other than the <1000 tab thing. I dont think I've ever heard of 1000 Dexamfetamine tablets being in one pharmacy, not even in the height of the private scripting frenzy by Private docs prescribing it for... well anyone... a few years back in London. Apparently these are still prescribed a lot in the West country for by substance misuse agency's, and was historically prescribed before the time Methadone was.

I'm not sure if this is even on a named patient basis, I just understand that although it needs to be ordered from UCB they can bill and possibly distribute through Unichem. Oh, and apparently a maximum amount of (just under)1000 tablets can be ordered at once.

Sorry for some of the sketchy details as I have only I the UCB rep was not to 100% herself on some of this information and I was ever so slightly distracted. If anyone wants to clarify call 01773 510123(distribution/customer services/apperently).

Hope this was helpfull info to someone, AAH just told me(like before) it couldn't supply... nothing about this new regime.

Comment

Working...
                        X