Any experience of Pharmacy ONE scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience of Pharmacy ONE scheme

Anyone got experience or opinion on the the Pharmacy ONE scheme? - brand equalisation, buying certain brand generics. I have been a half hearted member of this scheme with a very low compliance which attracts regular letters of complaints from the administrators. In my opinion the scheme is not transparent i.e. we never know the net prices we pay for each of the lines. I feel good at the end of the month when I receive the price difference cheque. But I always get the feeling could I have saved more by buying the non branded generic from short line wholesalers. I know this scheme saves time and effort (which is money) but am I losing more than I am gaining after taking time into consideration? Any one got an opinion or done any maths? Then there are schemes to buy generics of one company from the same wholesaler. Are these money savers?
    After reading Reverend David Croucher's article in the C&D Feb 9 Pg 12 where he describes such schemes as 'my life blood for many years' prompted me to write this article.
    I have heard that within the M25 prices of generic drugs are much more competitive than elsewhere? Any opinions?
    Has anybody saved money on PriceGRID for buying for a single shop?

Re: Any experience of Pharmacy ONE scheme

Originally posted by dhimant View Post
    I do a regular locum in South Yorkshire for a pharmacist who has trained his senior dispenser to spot the best prices on generics and do the orders. It works quite well, especially if there is a bonus incentive. You should hear her on the phone doing deals. It sounds like a good idea to me - why try to do it all yourself!
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Easy - Get your suppliers to email you price lists - drop them into spreadsheets then haggle hard on the phone.
      I put a few % on the gross profit at my last place doing this.

Oh and get the electronic drug tariff off the web before the end of the month and buy buy buy before the wholesalers change their prices.

I put a few % on the gross profit at my last place doing this - and we normally kept pack continuity on key lines.

Comment

Had a look at PriceGRID after reading your post. Have signed up for free trial and will show the boss when i next see her. After having a quick play around it does look useful. Beats the very basic excel spread sheet i use!!

The ability to press a button and it to order via email/fax is very appealing!

If i get go ahead from boss will report back to let you know how it goes

Comment

Have used PriceGrid for over a month now. Boss has seen significant reduction in drug spend so it seems to do what it says on the tin!

I have no financial interest in the above company!!! Thought i better say that!!

If anyone is interested the guy to speak to is Rowland who has been very helpful with any queries i've had!

Comment

Anyone got experience or opinion on the the Pharmacy ONE scheme? - brand equalisation, buying certain brand generics.
            The big advantage is that it is easy and allows the PMR to keep track of stock and offers a potentially lower investment in stock holding.

In my opinion the scheme is not transparent i.e. we never know the net prices we pay for each of the lines.
            It's designed not to be transparent - I am not sure to what extent it is a cartel designed to keep prices from/artificially inflate prices to the government.

But I always get the feeling could I have saved more by buying the non branded generic from short line wholesalers.
            Then you might have to enter the received stock manually onto the PMR. Look at your O/S, overstock and expired stock and the cost of shelf space.

Jeff

Comment

One place I worked had Hadley Hutt Eclipse system which had the facilith to order both from regular wholesalers and short line. It would top up stock from the regular wholesaler, at the same time accumulating a monthly order for the short line.
              johnep

Comment

Hi there,
                I am opening my new pharmacy shortly and have looked in to the various schemes available. I have had offers from AAH, Mawdleys, Unichem, Pheonix, Lexon, Numark, Camrx, Otc direct. Overall the unichem pharmacy one scheme does not seem as good as the pheonix and Numark package.
                What do you owners think?
                Is Cat M as bad as the hype?
                There has been a lot of money made in the past, and now is a lean time. However it looks to me that there is still a good profit in pharmacy.

Also, what would you say the wholesalers discount % should be?
                There seems to be perhaps only about 1 to 1.5% on ethicals after clawback. The only profit looks like generics and PI's.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

[U]IF NOT WHY NOT?[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by The Alchemist View Post
                  Hi there,
                  I am opening my new pharmacy shortly and have looked in to the various schemes available. I have had offers from AAH, Mawdleys, Unichem, Pheonix, Lexon, Numark, Camrx, Otc direct. Overall the unichem pharmacy one scheme does not seem as good as the pheonix and Numark package.
                  What do you owners think?
                  Is Cat M as bad as the hype?
                  There has been a lot of money made in the past, and now is a lean time. However it looks to me that there is still a good profit in pharmacy.

Also, what would you say the wholesalers discount % should be?
                  There seems to be perhaps only about 1 to 1.5% on ethicals after clawback. The only profit looks like generics and PI's.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
                  Not an owner but a former operations manager who oversaw all buying, negotiating and haggling for a small group.
                  My experience:
                  I didn't find the UniChem scheme to be competative.
                  Best for us was AAH and the TEVA scheme and a few spreadsheets, looking at the drug tariff online before the start of the month...

Cat M sucks

Wholesalers discount depends on your turnover. Difficult for me to be specific on a public forum but more than 11% is what you should negotiate and several loyalty discounts on other product groups.

Generics is where its at, some PIs are good. Pfizer, AZ and others have taken a lot of the profit out with their "direct schemes".

Best of luck. Keep haggling and keep on top of those prices MONTHLY.

Comment

Thanks for advice, I am not isolated in my buying as although this is my first pharmacy, my GROUP has 5 in total.

Checking the tariff before the start of the month is a given, however all this looking through other price lists and shortliners is it really worth the time and effort anymore. From my calculations generics, PI's and ZD's makes up about 30 to 40% of an average pharmacy's monthly spend. If I stick with a scheme that gives a loyalty and compliance rebate of about 35% GP, is it worth the extra searching?

All the above is just about buying, I am assuming people get their 400 mur's out of the way asap, and participate in as many enhanced services as poss.

[U]IF NOT WHY NOT?[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                      Have used PriceGrid for over a month now. Boss has seen significant reduction in drug spend so it seems to do what it says on the tin!
                      Jon, are you still using it?

I'd be concerned about carriage charges when faxing orders if items were OOS and the order value dropped below, say £100.

Comment

Not anymore, only use two shortliners so not really worth it. We now have a dispenser who does the price comparisons at start of each month and orders a bulk order.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                          Not anymore, only use two shortliners so not really worth it.
                          I see what you mean. I remember you saying that you use DE pharma. Phoenix have good prices for a lot of generics though.

Comment

One group of pharmacies where I worked used Hadley Hutt and then eclipse.
                            Apparently there is a facility in these to set up wholesaler preferences for each item and to even set up so the computer judges which items would be worth buying in bulk. If stock runs low of one of these items, just replacement is ordered from the daily wholesaler while a monthly order builds up in the background.
                            The computer can be set up to print out a suggested order for each shortline wholesaler. All this requires attention to detail.

The owner had a similar set up for OTC and employed a Saturday boy with an interest in computers to check physical stock against virtual.

Stock also adjusted while dispensing as possible. Naturally, the owner now retired as a millionaire.
                            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                              One group of pharmacies where I worked used Hadley Hutt and then eclipse.
                              Apparently there is a facility in these to set up wholesaler preferences for each item and to even set up so the computer judges which items would be worth buying in bulk. If stock runs low of one of these items, just replacement is ordered from the daily wholesaler while a monthly order builds up in the background.
                              The computer can be set up to print out a suggested order for each shortline wholesaler. All this requires attention to detail.

The owner had a similar set up for OTC and employed a Saturday boy with an interest in computers to check physical stock against virtual.

Stock also adjusted while dispensing as possible. Naturally, the owner now retired as a millionaire.
                              johnep
                              Sounds like an interesting system. So if, for example, you wanted to order levothyroxine tabs from Phoenix, Serevent Evohaler from Sigma and Abilify from Lexon, you could set up the computer so that it put these items on to different pages of the order??

Bobbin

Comment

Working...
                              X