Starting as a community pharmacist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting as a community pharmacist

I am currently half way through completing a hospital pre registration but am considering pursuing community pharmacy as a career.

I am concerned that after completing a hospital pre reg and having competed minimal community pharmacy experience I may need some foundation training before becoming totally competent.

What companies are considered as the gold standard trainers of young pharmacists and how common is a community pharmacy diploma offered as part of training? Are these useful?

In many years I think that I would be interested in owning a community pharmacy, would it be advisable to complete a business course of some kind?
    Last but not least, how satisfying is owning your own pharmacy and what salary is an independent pharmacist owning the shop likely to earn?

Re: Starting as a community pharmacist

You want to make a million, start with two million.
    johnep

Comment

I did my pre-reg in hospital and then went straight into locuming in community. I had worked at BTC in my hols from uni though which did help a bit. The transition wasn't too bad, the only thing i found slightly harder was OTC prescibing, but you soon get up to speed. There are various books available which help with all aspects of OTC prescribing/minor ailments etc.

Find yourself a quiet shop for the first week or so, don't take an agency's word for it when they say shop is quiet. They promised me a quiet shop for my first day qualified and it turned out to be shop doing 600 items a day. Definately in at the deep end, but i survived, just! Wouldn't recommend it though!

Good luck!

Comment

Come to think of it, what's the difference between a community pharmacist (who doesn't own his own pharmacy) and a locum? Is it just that locums work through agencies?

Comment

I don't own a pharmacy, and I'm not a locum.

I'm employed and work in a shop owned by someone else! Locums are self employed and most don't work through agencies, if you do a good job word of mouth will usually fill your diary.

When i started i locumed for a while and used an agency to start with, but after a while, if you market yourself, the calls for work start coming in directly from the shops or locum co-ordinators.

Comment

Thanks for that info.

Although if you don't mind I have some more questions - is there no way to PM you?

Comment

Originally posted by #1_Wasteman View Post
              Thanks for that info.

Although if you don't mind I have some more questions - is there no way to PM you?
              there is now!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, would you recommend to start off as a locum instead of through a company then?

Do any of the big companies offer a community equivalent of the hospital diploma, if so how easy is it get this and how valuable are they?

Comment

Oh dear, you do have stars in your eyes. Multiples only care that you are reasonably competent and have a certificate. In the old days it was said a corpse with a certificate could get a job.
                  johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                    Oh dear, you do have stars in your eyes. Multiples only care that you are reasonably competent and have a certificate. In the old days it was said a corpse with a certificate could get a job.
                    johnep
                    Some of the more enlightened ones did.
                    Can I mention Weldricks, without advertising?
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                      Some of the more enlightened ones did.
                      Can I mention Weldricks, without advertising?
                      You can if it's not a blatent ad, and just for the purpose of discussion.

If it's the Weldricks in and around Doncaster it's the worst company I have ever worked for.
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                        You can if it's not a blatent ad, and just for the purpose of discussion.

If it's the Weldricks in and around Doncaster it's the worst company I have ever worked for.

No not a blatant ad.
                        I did go for an interview once and they turned me down.
                        Tell me why they were the worst in a PM.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                        X