advice on new pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on new pharmacy

Hello, Im thinking of applying for a pharmacy contract but was wondering whether its worth it as i keep reading about the squeeze on pharmacy renumeration. Does anyone know roughly what the average gross profit for a pharmacy dispensing 6000 items per month. (probable 100 hour pharmacy probably in a dense populated area with a surgery 100 metre away and a prescription factory of a pharmacy 500 metre away)
    Also cant make head nor toe of the drug tariff, do contractors actually get any % margin after the government have taken their slice of the cake with deductions?
    thanx

Re: advice on new pharmacy

Originally posted by rafter View Post
    Hello, Im thinking of applying for a pharmacy contract but was wondering whether its worth it as i keep reading about the squeeze on pharmacy renumeration. Does anyone know roughly what the average gross profit for a pharmacy dispensing 6000 items per month. (probable 100 hour pharmacy probably in a dense populated area with a surgery 100 metre away and a prescription factory of a pharmacy 500 metre away)
    Also cant make head nor toe of the drug tariff, do contractors actually get any % margin after the government have taken their slice of the cake with deductions?
    thanx
    100 hours is a long, long time to cover a pharmacy.

The position is, you have to beat the tariff prices all the time from your suppliers, the better the price the more is your profit. The tariff will then catch up and down goes the price... and so the viscious circle ensues. You are then plugged into the numbers game just like the prescription factory down the road.

In some places the 100 hour has opened up in the Health Centre itself. So the prescription factory becomes yours. (You and your GP partners then own the pharmacy)
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
      100 hours is a long, long time to cover a pharmacy.

The position is, you have to beat the tariff prices all the time from your suppliers, the better the price the more is your profit. The tariff will then catch up and down goes the price... and so the viscious circle ensues. You are then plugged into the numbers game just like the prescription factory down the road.

In some places the 100 hour has opened up in the Health Centre itself. So the prescription factory becomes yours. (You and your GP partners then own the pharmacy)
      How the prescription factory becomes his own factory mate???

Comment

I think you are confusing ownership of the pharmacy with ownership of the premises. The GPs will let you run the pharmacy in their premises for an exhorbitant rent or share of the profits.
        johnep

Comment

Opening a new pharmacy Regulations PSNC
          I found this in a second on google. Why didn't you?
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Opening a new pharmacy Regulations PSNC
            I found this in a second on google. Why didn't you?
            johnep
            Grate!

Comment

Fire grate, grater for cheese or did you mean "Great"?
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Stratos View Post
                Grate!
                First necessity is good english and registration as a practicing pharmacist. Rest all can be managed based on the economics.

Shan

ps: It's my opinion and in no way to annoy anyone or make fun of anyone.
                [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
                  First necessity is good english and registration as a practicing pharmacist. Rest all can be managed based on the economics.

Shan

ps: It's my opinion and in no way to annoy anyone or make fun of anyone.
                  Omg!! Guys I have to explain that I know the difference between grate and great?? I don't think so.. I am not perfect on typing on the keyboard.
                  But you are speaking really good English guys to notice these things.

Comment

the difference between grate and great??
                    Good English is great.
                    Bad English grates.

<giggle>
                    ....just my opinion

Comment

WE have high standards on this forum which reflects the care we should take every day in our professional lives. Near enough is not good.
                      johnep

Comment

Omg!! Guys I have to explain that I know the difference between grate and great?? I don't think so.. I am not perfect on typing on the keyboard.
                        But you are speaking really good English guys to notice these things.
                        Well it was just a suggestion if anyone wanted to correct their mistakes. Pharmacy as a profession is a place where even 0.0000001 % error can lead to lifethreatening dangers or atleast see you are struck off

You said it yourself

I unquote some of your own quotes . . . now you judge as to whether it was a typo or mistake.

Hey Sofia. I have in my mind opening pharmacy premises in the UK
                        since I was leaving in Manchester.
                        Is it "living in" or "leaving the" place?????

From where I have to start in order to garantee a NHS contract?
                        I can't GUARANTEE about the garantee

Cool Does anyone knows If it really worths to open a pharmacy in the UK? STratos
                        I doesn't knows, sorries

Well, sorry mate, but we are part of this forum to share and if possible learn a lot for our own benefit and also to help those who need help. I hope it is taken in a good sense.

Cheers

Shan
                        [url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2DA4I4TGw[/url]

Comment

There's no need to have a go at his spelling - how many users here could type fluent greek or italian on a forum ? Now if he was born in this country and couldn't spell guarantee or great then thats a different matter but quite clearly he isn't British so there's no need to be pickety.
                          http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

pickity?
                            johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                              pickity?
                              johnep
                              John, have you had a hard day today?
                              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X