Working in Surgeries???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working in Surgeries???

What is it really like working for a pharmaceutical company that goes into surgeries - hoping to change patient's medication?

Re: Working in Surgeries???

I worked as a rep in the 60s and later in the 80s and 90s.

In the 60s there were few reps (30 in our company) and it was easy to see Drs. We were trained to present facts re our product and demonstrate advantages over existing medication for a cohort of pts. The Dr could then make up his mind and change if he wanted to.

In th 80s training became more intense and we were told to press for 'committment' to change to our product. We used clinical papers to illustrate advantages. This time the company I worked for (one of the smaller) had 200 reps. Other companies ran several sales forces and there was Innovex who supplied extra reps on contract. This meant that Drs were besieged by reps and the job became very hard.

The latest development is to promote branded generics particularly to dispensing Drs where the Dr may be offered some inducement and the brand is priced just below DT price (for a while).

The reps will sometimes ask to be allowed access or provide a disc to change pts over.

When the DT catches up with the market price, the pts are then on a more expensive product.

repping to GPs is not a job I would enjoy now.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by pharm2007 View Post
      What is it really like working for a pharmaceutical company that goes into surgeri, es - hoping to change patient's medication?

Its great...I work in surgeries too, but I am employed by a PCT
      Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

thanks for your replies. I've seen this job advert which says it's for a clinical support pharmacist position working for a famous pharmaceutical company. Do you think it's just a renamed sales rep job?

Comment

thanks for your replies. I've seen this job advert which says it's for a clinical support pharmacist position working for a famous pharmaceutical company. Do you think it's just a renamed sales rep job?
          Why not give them a ring and find out what the job's all about?
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: I like this article.

Spam attack!!!!
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

What is it really like working for a pharmaceutical company that goes into surgeries - hoping to change patient's medication?
              Be a bit careful - working for a company that is reprimanded for breaking ABPI rules wont look good on a CV.

Jeff

Comment

how did u go about being a rep for the pct??? also whats the money like? wot does being a rep entail? thanx

Comment

PCTs do not have reps as we would understand. What they do have are medicines mangement teams and these visit surgeries to basically try to reduce prescribing costs.

There is software available 'scriptswitch' which is used by pcts to present an more economical alternative at the time of a Dr prescribing.

Frequent route into PCT jobs is by having a clinical diploma from hospital but demand has been large as pcts developed so now quite possible to transfer from community, but likely to take an initial salary drop.

Why not contact your local pct to ask for advice from a kindly soul in the medicines management team.
                  johnep

Comment

Hi there

I'm doing some research about drug reps and I'm keen to talk to former reps.

Would have time to tell me -in brief - how it all works?

Off-the-record.

Thanks

Comment

If you are male, helps to look like Brad Pitt to charm the receptionists. If female, then busty and leggy.

However, Cos busy reducing rep forces at moment.

I was rep from 1960-69 and 1987- 2001.
                      First stint very enjoyable, second was plain hard graft. At the worst times I used to console myself that at least not making errors or putting up with bolshy customers and staff.
                      johnep

Comment

Thanks,

Were you from a medical background or sales then?

What sort of techniques did you use to get 'an in' with gp's?

Were the Pharm companies supportive or like you say the second time round - it was just hard graft?

Comment

the easy way is to sleep with him/her
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

IMS (intercontinental medical statistics) provide cos with sales figures for every post code in UK. These are used to judge your performance. If your indices do not move up, you will be shown the door.

I was a teacher for a couple of years after Uni and then had a year in community to qualify for a mortgage. Leads are provided from mailings offering various items which you can use to say dr wanted.first in wins, I used to be waiting for 8am opening from 6.30am to be first.

I enjoyed hospitals much better. would do a mess lunch and take names for various items. These provided recalls and in searching for the dr who had requested something would invariably find others to see.

Best time in sales was when I was in export selling overseas. One deal could be worth 100k in sales for the company.

If you want a medical sales job, these are usually advertised in the Telegraph on a Thursday.
                            johnep

Comment

Johnep,

I'm a freelance journo working on a tv programme about the pharm industry and I'm keen to talk to as many ex reps as possible. It's the pro's and con's of the job that I'm interested in.

I hear that there are a lot of jobs cuts now and there are less reps than there were.

If you are keen to talk about your experiences and extensive career private message me - this can be anonymously if need be.

Kind regards,
                              Last edited by DavidS; 11, March 2009, 09:49 PM. Reason: remove personal email address

Comment

Working...
                              X