No announcement yet.

Wastage of Foreign Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are correct. The upper classes went out to rule and exploit, the lower classes like me went out to work and thus did not generally go to India, Africa etc.
    As for wandering off point, the original post was about wastage in foreign aid, not the empire.
    Unfortunately, corruption is endemic where different social norms prevail. In UK the eldest son rule was to keep estates intact. Hence novelists of the time (Jane Austen) obsession with inherited wealth. Other societies split land equally resulting in decimation of land holdings.
    I have not attacked you, and am sorry for that impression. Just that if someone feels strongly about a topic then surely it is legitimate to ask what they are doing themselves to right a perceived wrong. Voting being one way.
    I did say i would post no more on this thread, but you have spurred me to reply.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      You are correct. The upper classes went out to rule and exploit, the lower classes like me went out to work and thus did not generally go to India, Africa etc.
      As for wandering off point, the original post was about wastage in foreign aid, not the empire.
      Unfortunately, corruption is endemic where different social norms prevail. In UK the eldest son rule was to keep estates intact. Hence novelists of the time (Jane Austen) obsession with inherited wealth. Other societies split land equally resulting in decimation of land holdings.
      I have not attacked you, and am sorry for that impression. Just that if someone feels strongly about a topic then surely it is legitimate to ask what they are doing themselves to right a perceived wrong. Voting being one way.
      I did say i would post no more on this thread, but you have spurred me to reply.
      johnep
      There's nothing wrong with having a healthy debate. On a personal note I do donate to international charity something I feel quite strong about. I have little sympathy for politicians of third world countries because they try to blur their own incompetence with past colonial history of their country. China to its credit seems to avoid wallowing in the past and has indeed managed to lift itself up from poverty.

However in terms of charity should start at home, from my personal observation in the UK there is a lack of accountability in the general population. Most people fail to take ownership for their own problems and find it easier to blame it on someone else. That's how majority of the patients I have had the misfortune of dealing with act. Look at how the NHS is misused people fail to take care of themselves and develop illness associated with lifestyle and then drain the system of its limited resources. On the other hand if we had a healthy lifestyle in the UK the NHS could have been a sustainable organisation because they could focus on conditions which people can do little to prevent.

In some ways I have been guilty of not taking responsibilities for my own failures in the past I blamed my career misfortune on Universities and large corporate companies. I guess as you get older you start realising that things always don't work out and its important to take ownership for your own mistakes in life and ask yourself what can you do to resolve it?

Comment

I completely agree with you.

Comment

Working...
        X