Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Career switch needed (slight rant attached)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career switch needed (slight rant attached)

So, I'm fairly new to the world of pharmacy having recently qualified and I'm sort of regretting it - immensely. Getting terrible offers to locum, working with incompetent counter technicians and dealing with rude patients are just some of the things I encounter daily. The last straw was a locum shift, where a patient started screaming and I quote; "How long does it take to put pills in a box?". I did my pre-reg in community and carried on locum work in community too. I'm currently settled into a hospital position though I still feel out of place and uneasy about the whole thing. Rant over.

I'd like to move into the industrial sector. While laboratory work is not what I'm looking for, I would love the opportunity to focus on administrative work surrounding medicines and a career in the industry or MHRA or regulatory affairs sounds wonderful. I've seen a few posts here of how people managed to break into the industry side as well as on the PJ; though I would like a more in depth explanation of the process.

As in; which roles in industry are more suitable to someone with community/hospital experience and why, what the salary is like, what the work life is like and so on. (The more the better)
    I am doing my homework and I've been looking into Pharmacovigilance and Qualified Persons so far but I welcome other suggestions.

Apologies to anyone offended by my attitudes towards patient-facing pharmacy roles but in my albeit limited experience, it's a nightmare.

Regards,
    Em

Where are you based most industry jobs seem to be down south near London.
    Personally I’m in the same position as you been a locum for just under a year and have no passion for it looking to exit community but your saying hospital is the same are you band 6?

Comment

Keep an eye out for every entry level role in pharma companies you can find (LinkedIn and Indeed). A lot of them have a degree in pharmacy or life sciences as an entry point. Prepare yourself for a salary in the region of 25k starting out but if you've looked into QP roles you'll surely be aware that the salary potential is huge.

As far as QP roles go I'd be conscious that the UK has made a commitment that post-Brexit all EU released stock will be accepted in the UK. The EU has not made a reciprocal declaration so an awful lot of QP jobs have and will be migrating to Europe. All the best in your hunt!!
      I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Belonging to the EU has resulted in the decimation of UK industry and supplies now come from Poland etc. Leaving EU could result in resurgence of UK manufacturing with more jobs available.
        When in Export i used to encourage Import Substitution. It needs govnmt to encourage home production and stop giving contracts for railways, atomic powere, and pasports to EU companies etc which usually enjoy hidden subsidies from local govnmt. France is probably greatest example of always having a policy of France first.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Belonging to the EU has resulted in the decimation of UK industry and supplies now come from Poland etc. Leaving EU could result in resurgence of UK manufacturing with more jobs available.
          When in Export i used to encourage Import Substitution. It needs govnmt to encourage home production and stop giving contracts for railways, atomic powere, and pasports to EU companies etc which usually enjoy hidden subsidies from local govnmt. France is probably greatest example of always having a policy of France first.
          johnep
          If I'm not mistaken they've already given away the contract for the new blue passports to an EU based company!!!! I'd be very surprised if we move away from a tendering model for contracts and leaving the EU won't have any impact on who we choose to deliver these services. It will still be a race to the bottom and the cheapest bid will regularly win regardless of nationality (or feasibility of delivery).

I don't see pharma getting a boost in particular. If there is a one-way agreement on regulation the big multi-nationals would be daft to manufacture in the UK thereby doubling their batch release costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post

If I'm not mistaken they've already given away the contract for the new blue passports to an EU based company!!!! I'd be very surprised if we move away from a tendering model for contracts and leaving the EU won't have any impact on who we choose to deliver these services. It will still be a race to the bottom and the cheapest bid will regularly win regardless of nationality (or feasibility of delivery).

I don't see pharma getting a boost in particular. If there is a one-way agreement on regulation the big multi-nationals would be daft to manufacture in the UK thereby doubling their batch release costs.
            I agree with Nimrec!

Comment

I completely understand the yearning for "the good old days".

If Brexit comes off in a best case scenario we'll strike trade deals with loads of countries outside the EU. Loads of countries with cheaper labour, cheaper steel and cheaper overheads. . . . . .

I don't see any way we bring more manufacturing back to this country without a biased tender process (all UK firms get a guaranteed 10-20% headstart which is unlikely) or significant tax incentives (either way we're paying for it).

Comment

On another site someone drew attention to polls saying that significant numbers of people in Eastern Europe thought that life was better under the Communists. There’s also a film; 'My DDR tee-shirt', about the old East Germany, and how some people thought that life was better then. For them anyway. Have a look at http://myddrtshirt.co.uk

Comment

Currently a Band 6. It's a lot of work on wards and the dispensary in a relatively short time and you'll have to keep studying a lot while working (diploma) if you want to move up the bands

Comment

Originally posted by Ems123 View Post
                    Where are you based most industry jobs seem to be down south near London.
                    Personally I’m in the same position as you been a locum for just under a year and have no passion for it looking to exit community but your saying hospital is the same are you band 6?
                    Currently a Band 6. It's a lot of work on wards and the dispensary in a relatively short time and you'll have to keep studying a lot while working (diploma) if you want to move up the bands

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
                      Keep an eye out for every entry level role in pharma companies you can find (LinkedIn and Indeed). A lot of them have a degree in pharmacy or life sciences as an entry point. Prepare yourself for a salary in the region of 25k starting out but if you've looked into QP roles you'll surely be aware that the salary potential is huge.

As far as QP roles go I'd be conscious that the UK has made a commitment that post-Brexit all EU released stock will be accepted in the UK. The EU has not made a reciprocal declaration so an awful lot of QP jobs have and will be migrating to Europe. All the best in your hunt!!
                      I was unaware of such implications of Brexit on industry jobs. Thanks for the feedback.
                      The entry level positions salary seem very low. I guess entry level would be at the low range while the QP positions would be higher, however are there positions that perhaps fall in between?
                      My ideal situation would be something office-based, where I can put my hospital/community/legislation knowledge to use.

Comment

Originally posted by fnxrar1994 View Post

I was unaware of such implications of Brexit on industry jobs. Thanks for the feedback.
                        The entry level positions salary seem very low. I guess entry level would be at the low range while the QP positions would be higher, however are there positions that perhaps fall in between?
                        My ideal situation would be something office-based, where I can put my hospital/community/legislation knowledge to use.
                        A lot of the work would have a significant admin component. There would usually be some form of site inspection or visit in regulatory roles though.

As far as progression goes I'm sure you'll find that there's regulatory affairs associates, senior regulatory affairs officers, quality managers and a range of other roles all with different remits, levels of seniority and salaries.

In fairness quality isn't the only area you could go down. There's always opportunities in sales, marketing and medicines information where your skills would be equally valued.

Comment

Working...
                        X