Route to being a QP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route to being a QP?

im interested in becoming a Qualified Person, however, a role as a trainee QP are quite far and few between, and very competitive when they are posted.
    so, I've been told my best bet is to get a job in a facility with an MHRA manufacturing license - and once I've gained trust, ask if I would be considered as a QP and have them fund the course.
    as a pharmacist with management experience, what kind of job title should I be applying for , in order to get on the road there? I'm used to a salary of around 40k, but don't mind taking a slightly pay cut to get there.

The decimation of Pharma by the EU and antipathy has resulted in very few opportunities these days. You could try writing to all pharm cos and specials manf. Be prepared to take a 25 -30% pat cut but you could make up with weekend locums....I did.
    johnep

Comment

I enquired with RSSL who run the course for QP's, and working in a specials lab apparently doesn't count towards the 1 year experience required to enrol. Just means I need to apply to pharmaceutical companies though.
      But, is there a particular junior job role I should be aiming for, which would be best to get on the ladder?

Comment

That makes sense as specials companies work under a completely different licence (MS licence) to pharma companies (MIA licence).

Any kind of quality role in pharma would potentially put you on the path to become a trainee QP. It's all about getting your foot in the door but as Johnep suggested salaries may vary wildly.
        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

In the old days, pharmacists held these manufacturing jobs. Then, as retail salaries soared, became very difficult for industry to recruit pharmacists and they started employing BScs with no pharma experience. They had to be trained and thus the QP came into being. Naturally, with the demise of the chemical industry, pharma became the province of BScs and when looking to recruit, that is what they looked for.. Now, of course, pharma also being driven out of the UK which is an importing nation and no longer in manufacturing. When I obtained my first managerial job was told "Pharmacists are like snow in summer". No longer the case as we have a blizzard of pharmacists now.
          johnep

Comment

It also doesn't help that pharmacists aren't exactly ingratiating themselves with the MHRA with the amount of supply chain diversion we're seeing these days. At 44 arrests to date I'm sure there's probably a reasonably jaundiced view of our profession around Canary Wharf.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
              That makes sense as specials companies work under a completely different licence (MS licence) to pharma companies (MIA licence).

Any kind of quality role in pharma would potentially put you on the path to become a trainee QP. It's all about getting your foot in the door but as Johnep suggested salaries may vary wildly.
              What would be best placed in terms of getting very hands on and gain me the most experience in the manufacturing side? I know there are some Medicines information type vacancies but don't fancy that too much - plus I'm not too sure raj would be considered relevant enough to become a QP.

Comment

In the old days, possible to do apprenticeship or post grad in manufacturing. Also, several hospitals had small manufacturing depts. Nowadays perhaps a Specials company would be OK.
                johnep

Comment

I'd agree a specials company may be a good first step. Alternatively an R and D or any entry level quality role would be a good first step.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
                    I'd agree a specials company may be a good first step. Alternatively an R and D or any entry level quality role would be a good first step.
                    Yeah I actually checked with a company thats runs the course for QP - they wouldn't consider a specials lab as valid. Apparently it's not the right manufacturing license?
                    will do more research

Comment

Originally posted by pharmer7 View Post
                      Yeah I actually checked with a company thats runs the course for QP - they wouldn't consider a specials lab as valid. Apparently it's not the right manufacturing license?
                      will do more research
                      Yes they work under an MS licence as opposed to an MIA. However in order to get the job with a manufacturer in a product quality position experience in a specials lab may make you a more attractive proposition from a hiring perspective.

Some MS labs will also have an MIA in order to produce over labelled stock so it's worth asking the question and getting experience of GMP there first then making the transition.

Comment

So, don't they teach pharmaceutics and pharm engineering at uni these days? You should know what a Votator is etc.
                        johnep

Comment

Working...
                        X