Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From community to industry

Hi all,

I have been working in community for the last five years. I was wondering if you have any advice when it comes to moving into the pharma industry.

I have applied for a few medical information jobs, but my applications have been rejected for all of them, without even reaching interview stage.

Also, is there any entry level jobs in the pharma industry which starts at approx 40K and would be suitable for a pharmacist community experience, or am I expecting too much as a starting salary ?

I have looked at previous post too, but I thought your more insights would be very helpful as well particularly when it comes to the specifics in my situation.

This has appeared in my inbox. It’s from the RPS’s website; Perspectives of young Pharmacists on working in industry
    http://groups.rpharms.com/_forum/for...ID=73236#73236

Hope it helps.

Comment

These days, not much industry left. In the days when pharmacists could command higher salaries in retail, the BsC Chem grads began to take over all the production jobs. They have continued to recruit the same, particularly with the demise of the British Chemical Industry. I got in by starting as a Medical Rep. Took a 25% reduction in pay but got a car and expense account and five day week. These days, not all that many Pharma companies left. Many contract out their sales operations to companies such as Innovex. Have a look in Thursday edition of the Telegraph jobs page.
      johnep

Comment

I don't think your salary expectations are real. I have worked as a senior multilingual medical information officer, 9-17:30 job, Monday to Friday, for less than your entry level expectations. There are jobs out there, though, and if you want it, you've got to be prepared to take a drop.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          These days, not much industry left. In the days when pharmacists could command higher salaries in retail, the BsC Chem grads began to take over all the production jobs. They have continued to recruit the same, particularly with the demise of the British Chemical Industry. I got in by starting as a Medical Rep. Took a 25% reduction in pay but got a car and expense account and five day week. These days, not all that many Pharma companies left. Many contract out their sales operations to companies such as Innovex. Have a look in Thursday edition of the Telegraph jobs page.
          johnep
          According to the ABPI 'The UK based pharmaceutical industry directly employs around 73,000 people of which 23,000 work in research and development (R&D).'

Comment

When I was a MI officer I worked for an outsourcing company, working alongside with big companies based in the LatAm countries. Only had to be on-call one night per month.

Comment

If you get offered something think of it as entry level with a chance to get your feet under the table.
              While in position network yourself further into the industry with promotions and strategic moves.
              Worth the short term hit in salary in the short term to give you better prospects.

Leave the bright clinical future to the rest of the profession while you can!
              Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
              Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

For R&D you will need a PhD unless you are content to be an assistant
                johnep

Comment

I work doing medical information as well as a raft of other activities for just less than 40k. The job of MI can be boring.
                  3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

There is still good money to be made for pharmacists in industry but mainly in quality assurance. I think the higher paid positions would usually expect a technical post-graduate diploma (PTQA). I might be wrong but I would imagine the most common route into QA for pharmacists is by gaining experience in GMP by working in hospital aseptics, completing the PTQA, then with enough experience you would be in a good position to move into industry QA. To make a move directly from community into industry I would expect the only role you might be considered for would be MI. I think your entry level salary expectations for this are too high though.

Comment

Working...
                    X