Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start to the Industrial side of pharmacy.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start to the Industrial side of pharmacy.......

Hi i'm a student looking to study pharmacy from next year.. i was pretty keen in the industrial side of pharmacy....i was curious upon what the job requires and what the average pay would be like in the first few years working with a company ...

thank you..

Re: Industrial Pharmacy q's

Yeh, I was also wondering about that, would the starting wage be different if you did a phD first, instead of going straight in with just a first in ur MPharm? And finally what do the wages go up to over the years whilst working in industrial pharmacy, on average? (i.e how much will the wage increase each yr as u get more knowledge/experience/promotions etc). And finally what are the hours like for industrial pharmacy, are they more demanding than community or hospital?

I would appreciate it if somebody within industrial pharmacy could respond, but if not then anybody will do.

Comment

Re: Industrial Pharmacy

Originally posted by PharmStudent View Post
      Yeh, I was also wondering about that, would the starting wage be different if you did a phD first, instead of going straight in with just a first in ur MPharm? And finally what do the wages go up to over the years whilst working in industrial pharmacy, on average? (i.e how much will the wage increase each yr as u get more knowledge/experience/promotions etc). And finally what are the hours like for industrial pharmacy, are they more demanding than community or hospital?

I would appreciate it if somebody within industrial pharmacy could respond, but if not then anybody will do.
      Hi and welcome - to both of you!

I worked in industry, all be it quite a few years ago.

In general, it seems to be better for you if have a PhD, but it is possible to get a job without one. They do like people with research experience, and you obviously get that doing your PhD. You would also probably start at a higher level and more salary with one.

As for starting salary, I think it's generally lower then that of community pharmacists. After that though, the sky really is your limit. It will depend upon how well you do with regard to promotions etc

The working conditions and hours are usually better then communnity, and you get proper breaks - see the dozens of previous posts about that one! You also tend to work a five day week, 9 to 5 type of hours.

As to the actual job, it will really depend on which area you go into. You could work in formulation, analytical, pharmacology - all sorts of options could be open for you.

If you have more specific questions, or an idea of which field you want to work in, I (or someone else) might be able to give you some more info.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: Start to the Industrial side of pharmacy.......

Originally posted by 5.3.R.J View Post
        Hi i'm a student looking to study pharmacy from next year.. i was pretty keen in the industrial side of pharmacy....i was curious upon what the job requires and what the average pay would be like in the first few years working with a company ...

thank you..
        It's easier to get into industry with a chemistry degree....just think carefully...

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
          It's easier to get into industry with a chemistry degree....just think carefully...
          Maybe, but there are a lot of chemists out of work. My brother in law was made redundant from BP last year, and he has a PhD from Cambridge, and post doc experience as well.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

yes it is true that salaries are lower to start in industry, but after a few years you will exceed retail rates with all the advantages of good working conditions that industry brings. i was able to see half the world and stay in the best hotels etc while in industry.

Also the initial disparity in wages can be made up by locums. I kept my hand in by working as a locum in retail pharmacy one evening a week and on one Sat per month and sunday rotas.
            johnep

Comment

This forum is really very helpful to pharmacy people.........i would like to know about the oppertunities for pharmacy graduates from other countries in industry in UK...with few years of bioanalytical experience in a reputed CRO.

Comment

please help someone i would never want to be a sales person ie retail pharmacy or even hospital pharmacy i am keen on industrial pharmacy so please are the wages good there...is it easy to get in...please let me know i will do my ucas applications later this year and i am quite worried,....

Comment

Just consider that industry in Uk is fast moving away to Eastern Europe, India, China and South Africa. None of the companies I worked for now have any manufacturing in UK.
                  johnep

Comment

well thats good i never wanted to live in the uk i am even an international student...so i cant be borthered........

Comment

its very amazing to hear that pharma industry in UK is not having their manufacturing units in Uk......i would like to know the status of R&D particularly formulation, analytical and clinical trails (bioequivalence studies) position in industry and opportunities for registered and non registered pharmacists..........

Comment

No surprise really, just following the demise of all the other UK industries: shipbuilding, coal mining, steel production, car production, machine tools etc etc.

First of all go heavy industry jobs to countries where raw materials are cheaper, then labour intensive jobs to countries where labour is cheaper, then service, R&D, and electronics to countries which have a skilled workforce and cheap labour. This is why India and China are becoming the industrial powerhouses of the second and third industrial revolutions.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by aity View Post
                          well thats good i never wanted to live in the uk i am even an international student...so i cant be borthered........
                          What do you mean you can't be bothered to live in the UK? Where do you live now?

Comment

HI, i am titled pharmacist in Spain and Bulgaria. I am loking for a job in UK. In this moment i am working in Spain like chemist. My title is homologate in Spain. Can you please, give me some advice about pharmacy jobs in England?

Comment

How did you get your pharmacy job in Spain?
                              johnep

Comment

Working...
                              X