Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PhD essential for pharmaceutical industry?....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhD essential for pharmaceutical industry?....

Hello im currently 3rd yr, really thinking of going into industry, pre-reg places are v limited :roll: so ill do mine in community, do you think a PhD will be of any benefit if i want to work in industry after registration?...anyone in similar position or had experience...thanks alot, btw well done for the forum, i learnt alot from it :lol:

PhD's and Industry

Mitochondria

I know a PhD makes a great deal of difference to working in industry. If you have just spent three years doing research you are a better bet for industry, as you already have experience of research work. It's not essential, but it certainly helps!

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you have got something from the forum. Please feel free to start new threads as you wish, and don't be afraid to put these pharmacists through their paces!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

You definately don't need a PhD to be a successful pharmacist in Industry. A pharmacists knowledge of science and patients make them an invaluable asset to industry and I personally wish more pharmacists would pursue this line of work as it presents many opportunities.

It is true that a PhD may help you in industry, but as a pharmacist you have so many other skills to offer it is not essential.
      _____

Comment

thanks =)

just want to say thanks for giving me hope =)

Comment

Working in Industry

Mitochondria

You have plenty of hope, and I think an industrial is not only obtainable to you, but a preferential choice. The jobs are varied, you have chances to progress, all sorts of things.

I can only go by my own experience, and when I worked in industry most of the pharmacists had PhD's. That's not to say it's essential, just beneficial. If industry is your choice I'd recommend doing my homework on the company you are applying to work for. By this I mean things like: -

What do they sell - what products are they well known for
          What markets are they in - what's their % of these markets
          What's the history of the company
          Who's who in the company - MD, board of execs, etc
          Try doing some research - what are they developing etc
          Try to think of some new ideas to further develop their portfolio of products

Just basic stuff like that. I just thinks it looks good if you already know a bit about the company. It's also flattering to them if you have spent time on doing this.

Just my opinion of course.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
          X