*Merck*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Merck*

Merck has been one of the world's greatest pharmaceutical company over the years . In terms of its most recent strategies, drugs, and any other aspects, what elements do you think have contributed to its success :?:

I would like to gather some opinions and it would be really grateful if I would have a chance to talk to those who are existing or ex- employees of MERCK.

Hello.

Dear all,

There have been people viewing the topic question, however, it seems that noone is willing to comment or even vote for the poll. It is a discussion forum, and I'll be really pleased if I would have a chance to discuss with people about Merck.

PLEASE give me a bit of help? just vote on the poll?

Comment

Poll

I think people maybe feel they can't vote on a poll on a company they know little about. Most people on here are retail pharmacists, and as such will have a general knowledge about a lot of companies, but not any great knowledge about a particular one, unless they have worked for them.

In terms of its most recent strategies, drugs, and any other aspects, what elements do you think have contributed to its success
      Have you any specific examples of drugs / stratagies etc ?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Merck strategies and others

Hi. The most recent strategy of Merck would be its entire restructuring, i.e. closing over 30 manufacturing plants and cutting off roughly 11% of its labour force. In my opinion, it might be due to its voluntary withdrawal of its painkiller drug, Vioxx in 2004 which had also caused billions of legal lawsuits.

The restructuring of Merck would mean that it would rely more on outsourcing and building up closer relationships with its key suppliers.

Comment

Big Pharma

Good evening
          Congratulations on having a section for Big Pharma.....as you say the majority of pharmacists work in retail/community and hospitals.
          There is a very small proportion of us who work or have worked in Big Pharma....I am one...35 years in the same Company.

What I need to know is WHY pharmacists have such critical and cynical opinions about the Industry,usually they look at the bad news but forget that without these discoveries they would not have a job !
          and talking about innovations..did you know that in this weeks PJ there is an announcement of a new anti-biotic formulation for MRSA...and if that isnt progress...what is ???
          Lets applaud and support them...through thick and (Vioxx) thin !!!

mike harvey
          I am interested in the reasons why ,in general pharmacists are so critical of and cynical about the industry on which their livelihood depends. I will encourage more pharmacists to seek work in the drug industry.

Comment

The Pharmaceutical Industry

Mike

Hello and welcome. I am not against the industry in any way. In fact I worked for a Pharmaceutical company for six years as a lab technician (Formulation Development) before I went to study for my pharmacy degree.

It was a very interesting job, and I would personally recommend industry to any newly qualified pharmacist. I just happen to drift into hospital and then retail pharmacy.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Hi.

So have you got any opinions of Merck??

Comment

Merck

Cristovao

All I really know about Merck is that it is a big company and makes drugs and vaccines. I am familiar with the products we use here, such as Proscar, Zocor, Cosopt eye drops, Fosamax, Cozaar err I'm running out of products I know.

I do recall good drug information for product releases such as Fosamax. I can recall talking to a rep from Merck when Fosamax first came out, and talking about the hip advantages it give.

Comment

wut exactly does a job in pharmaceutical industry entail? i kno its dam well paid! is it stressful. wud it be 4 the cleverest? is it boring, chances of promotion good or bad?....etc i want 2 kno more!!
                  [FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Purple"]Nenah[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Re: *Merck*

Welcome Mike, this is a much more friendly forum than the other place.
                    If our enquirer logs onto Merck's web site, usually a few pages on the history.
                    Merck does have an enviable record. I seem to remember there were two brothers, fell out and you then had E Merck and Merck Sharpe and Dohme.

It was Merck who pioneered thiazide diuretics and Blood Pressure drugs.

One story was that Roche originally discovered amitryptylline but failed to develop it as preoccupied with benzos. MSD introduced as Tryptizol and Laroxyl was a poor second except overseas where Roche had good marketing forces, as they did with Bactrim vs Septrim.
                    Those were very exciting days.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by nenah View Post
                      wut exactly does a job in pharmaceutical industry entail? i kno its dam well paid! is it stressful. wud it be 4 the cleverest? is it boring, chances of promotion good or bad?....etc i want 2 kno more!!
                      Generally you need a phD in a relevant subject (not necessarily a pharmacy phD either) to enter into the research & drug development side of things. Some hospital pharmacists transfer into industry via a manufacturing route and get involved in formulation. Others get involved in medicines info and can come from any pharmacy branch.

However the main qualification would be to learn how to spell. If you're a pharmacy student (or to be quite honest, highers/ A-level student) then your spelling is shocking. My 12 year old stepdaughter can spell better than you.
                      “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

At one company all adverts etc passed around management to spot errors etc. I was astonished in another co to see a promotional calendar sent out through post with 'Febuary'.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by nenah View Post
                          Try posting here...

The txt spk thred

I notice there have been no replies yet, which makes me think some people have realised why I started the thread in the first place. Post in English please.
                          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Hi ,

This tread is very interesting. I too worked in Pharma industry in R&D as a trainee and shifted to clinical reasearch as a CRA.

I think Pharma Industry is doing great job by discovering new drugs for variety of complex deseases and obviously generating jobs for Clinical research, Pharmacies etc.

Cheers

Comment

I am only just now looking into industry as a future option for me. I am currently doing hospital pre reg. I understand a Phd can help with getting into industry and when you do get in your wage can be higher than someone without a Phd. My question is regarding suitable Phds: I did my final year project in the Molecular Pharmacology area and really loved the biological side to it. I preferred this area to the chemist side. what are your prospects in industry if you have not done a Phd in chemistry? I would like to do a more biological Phd, do you think it would be a viable option to getting into industry??
                              Aim as high as you wish

Comment

Working...
                              X