Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nhs cuts and being a band 6

Hey guys,

So given all the cuts made to the NHS and pharnacy speaking (specially in the community pharmacy), what can we expect a band 6 in the hospital to do in order to get an excelent service with the less expenditure as possible? The cut in the NHS affect all areas in pharmacy and as we know some plans are in place but everywhere has different SOPs and directives;
    I would like to know what is being done in other Trusts; also at least in my experience, a band 6 doesn't get much power of decision (speaking of processes and how things get done on a daily basis in the hospital). Any opinoin from a band 8/7/6 that probably, thanks to experience can see things in a different way, and is able to give some tips here on how to provide an excellent service but also being mindful of all cuts is very much appreciated.
    Hope its clear enough, any doubts please comment or pm.
    Thanks for all help in advance.

When I was trying to introduce LMWH into hospitals, I ran into the preoccupation with simply reducing the drugs bill. LMWH were more expensive than heparin solns but saved over £200 per day in bed cost as could be self administered at home. I had to bypass pharmacy and contact bed managers to get anywhere. In the end the DOH encouraged LMWH as a way of freeing beds. You have to get rid of the blinkered attitude and look at total cost to the hospital rather than just the pharmacy budget.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      When I was trying to introduce LMWH into hospitals, I ran into the preoccupation with simply reducing the drugs bill. LMWH were more expensive than heparin solns but saved over £200 per day in bed cost as could be self administered at home. I had to bypass pharmacy and contact bed managers to get anywhere. In the end the DOH encouraged LMWH as a way of freeing beds. You have to get rid of the blinkered attitude and look at total cost to the hospital rather than just the pharmacy budget.
      johnep
      i see what you mean, but as a band 6 nowadays I don't see how we can make a huge difference. Trying to give less TTO's , discharge people more quickly (but we don't even decide that)?

Comment

Working...
      X