Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from community pharamcy to hospital.

How big a change is it?
    The hospital I'm going to is 'technician' lead, which I'm finding strange to get my head around as I've always had a pharmacist to fall back on when I stuck.

For it to be a pharmacy there must be a responsible pharmacist signed in so you won't be left without clinical support if you need it.

You'll find a lot of hospitals have a technician managing the operational side of things as a lot of the time pharmacists are busy concentrating on their clinical specialities and ward rounds so the technicians are considerably more competent at running a dispensary.

If you're a technician or dispenser you'll find it tends to run like clockwork and you have an awful lot less of the distractions you deal with in community. You'll have all of the NHS benefits but you'll certainly have certain expectations of your performance and conduct.

If you have the opportunity definitely go for it!!!!
    I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

I, too, am looking at the hospital pharmacy rather than the community. Currently working as a dispenser in the community and really not enjoying it...customers constantly rude, constant interruptions, lack of staff. Maybe thinking at looking at the hospital pharmacy before jacking it in completely.

Would luv to hear people’s opinions of moving from one to the other and the main differences.

Many thanks!

Comment

Search the forum using the search box. You will find that hospital is always preferred.
        johnep

Comment

Johnep has got it in one.

You always have a tea break in the morning so you have a mental break from work. A proper lunch time. More holidays and a set payscale (with a pay rise of 6.5% over three years being currently negotiated)

If you have the opportunity definitely give it a go. Community pharmacy will still be there if you find it's not for you.
          I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen_here View Post
            How big a change is it?
            The hospital I'm going to is 'technician' lead, which I'm finding strange to get my head around as I've always had a pharmacist to fall back on when I stuck.
            Eek! I think there are better things to fall back on than most pharmacists!

Hospital pharmacy is a completely different role to community pharmacy, especially if you are a technician.

Technician led will refer to the dispensary, which will be managed by a senior technician. In fact, as a hospital technician you won’t be managed by a pharmacist at all, though you will still work with them. Actual roles and responsibilities will depend on what the Chief pharmacist wants. Some will favour techs and get them to do everything that they can. Others are more pharmacist centric and will be reluctant to hand over tasks to techs even though a pharmacy degree is unnecessary for that particular task.

If you are a pharmacist then then there will be loads of pharmacists around that you can seek advice from and you will soon find a ‘go to’ person to help when necessary. As a tech most of your queries will be answerable by your senior techs, and again, you will learn who is best to ask for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by aligr26 View Post
              I, too, am looking at the hospital pharmacy rather than the community. Currently working as a dispenser in the community and really not enjoying it...customers constantly rude, constant interruptions, lack of staff. Maybe thinking at looking at the hospital pharmacy before jacking it in completely.

Would luv to hear people’s opinions of moving from one to the other and the main differences.

Many thanks!
              Heehee! You still have rude customers(patients) in hospital, and constant interruptions, and a lack of staff. It’s not a magical fairytale world.

Its a bigger world than a community pharmacy, and there is loads of running around from place to place. To put it in context, my Fitbit records at least 11,000 steps every day, just at work. I have two wards to cover, plus I am on the rota as a checker in the dispensary. I love the variation, and the contact with various people. It can range from persuading a doctor to fill in the words AND numbers on a script, and when he asks if I could just do it, say, No. Then when he puts his baby voice on and whines, Do I have to? a stern, Only if you want it dispensing, suffices.

As a medicines reconciliation tech I talk to the newly admitted patients about their medication, get information from other hospitals and pharmacies involved in their care, and phone various companies which supply medication directly to patients at home. It can be quite time consuming so there is a lot of pressure on you to ensure that you get all of the relevant information but in a timely fashion.

i moved from community to hospital and I don’t think that I would ever go back. The role is so much wider in hospital, you work in a variety of places every day rather than in the same four walls, and you have contact with other healthcare professionals so you can learn from them too.

As you are a dispenser you could try applying for a post as a pre reg pharmacy technician. I know the northern counties of England are currently advertising their vacancies for a September 2018 start. Details are on NHS jobs.

Comment

I begin in 2 weeks, and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm hoping I'm up to the job! Sometimes I feel the tech course wasn't stretching enough.

Comment

Working...
                X