Hospital Pharmacy Band 6 interviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Pharmacy Band 6 interviews

I've applied to a couple of hospitals and received 3 interviews which have no flexibility in terms of days. Please advice on the following

1. How long does a band 6 hospital interview take roughly as I plan on travelling to 2 hospitals all in one day?
    2. How long does it take for them to offer job, can it be on the same day for example or the next day?
    3. Is it advisable risking one offer in a place I'd not like over a place I like?
    4. Just general advice.

I greatly appreciate your help

2. Might offer on the day, but depends on how many people are being interviewed. And they might have a policy which says they consult references BEFORE job offers.

Comment

1. How long does a band 6 hospital interview take roughly as I plan on travelling to 2 hospitals all in one day?

My band 6 interview took about an hour.

2. How long does it take for them to offer job, can it be on the same day for example or the next day?

I was told I'd hear back by the end of the week, had the interview on Wed and got the offer on Friday. So 2 days -obviously may vary amongst hospitals.

3. Is it advisable risking one offer in a place I'd not like over a place I like?

Maybe? Depends on your experience and how confident you are in potentially getting the offer.

4. Just general advice

You've got 3 interviews so looks like you are doing a good job, keep it up and portray it across in the interviews. Try and be natural and relaxed!

Best wishes

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Needless to say I did not get any offer. I always score low when it comes to clinical experience. It is hard as it is already trying to get community work as a locum.

Comment

So, how is your reply going to help others? Ie how long the interviews took. Questions asked and those you had problems with. You must brush up your interview technique. We cannot help you if you give no details. This is a perennial problem in that posters want help for themselves but then do not help others.
          johnep

Comment

Well, fair point. Lets see if this helps anyone, pardon my moping reply earlier.

1. The interviews are approximately 1 hour in length.
            2. The questions are basic, as follows
            3. Why this hospital?
            4. What qualities/skills can you bring?
            5. Describe a time you had to work as part of a team.
            6. Describe what you will do in the ward from start to finish.
            7. Describe a clinical intervention you undertook?

I had difficulty in describing a clinical intervention. I used an example from my pre-reg year but I think they want an example from me post registration. I have only worked one day in a pharmacy since September so in 60 days just one day. I am based in London, still waiting for DBS and they are just no jobs unless I travel 2 hours, make 3 changes on public transport.

Still, regardless I will endeavour and when I have a job I will be in a better position to help people who ever need my help.

Comment

Thank you Jamie. This will help someone else. So, perhaps others can give examples of clinical intervention. Unfortunately, people assume that there is full employment in pharmacy. Used to be but not now. It is no longer the door to a secure future as it was in my day.
              johnep

Comment

True. An encouragement, If I could get through pre-reg and God was I in such an aweful, aweful place then anyone can. If I manage to find a job and succeed anyone can too. Lets see how this goes...

Comment

Hi there,

thanks for posting some details of your interview.

I have a band 6 interview fast approaching and would also like to know if anyone else has any experience on what types of questions or scenarios might be asked about?

I’m hoping to make the transition from community pharmacy. And with no hospital experience i find questions like “describe how your day would go start to finish” or scenarios regarding prioritising processes in hospital quite difficult.

I have had one interview which I was unsuccessful for it involved;

Looking at a drug chart. The chart had several drugs on it. A couple of the issues were;
                  there were two ACE inhibitors on the chart. Also patient is known to have an allergy to ACE inhibitors.
                  Some of the information such as doctor signatures were missing.
                  there was an interaction between methotrexate and an NSAID the patient was prescribed.
                  The patient appeared to have had a previous cardiovascular event and asked me to suggest any additional medications to his regime. He was not on aspirin so I suggested that.

As as for the interview questions. I can’t remember them all but here are a couple;

What could you bring to the service on the wards?
                  How would you work between the ward and the dispensary?
                  why our hospital?

and a scenario; (this was for a band 6 emergency department post)
                  you start your shift. You have
                  1) someone who Is due for discharge that afternoon.
                  2) a diabetic patient who has been admitted that morning
                  3) a Parkinson’s patient on the ward who hadn’t had any medication since last night because his medication is in a dossette and he doesn’t have it with him.

That is is all the information they gave. I know 1 has the lowest priority as the other two pose a more immediate risk. But I found it difficult to explain myself. I wasn’t sure how discharges worked. And also I didn’t know how much detail they wanted me to go into or how dangerous it was for Parkinson’s patient to have missed an evenings dose? I said I would attend the diabetic one first because I didn’t know what the actual complaint was and therefore how serious it was.

If anyone has any ideas about how they would have answered these or any other questions they have been asked that would be great!

Thanks

Comment

Thanks, exactly the kind of feed back we need, Now we need others to say what they would do so we can get a discussion going.
                    johnep

Comment

I would consider the Parkinson patient the priority. They were there longer than the diabetic patient and were due or overdue their meds which they must get on time. It might be quickest if there is someone at home who can bring in the dosette box right away. Otherwise you need to find out what is needed and organise a supply.

Comment

I wouldn’t be too dismissive of the patient waiting to go home. Although they are not the immediate priority it is vital that you see that the discharge letter has been printed, the drugs listed on it are correct and that a supply is being obtained for them to go home. Your technician can obtain the discharge letter, and send it to the dispensary for dispensing. As the pharmacist your only involvement would be pcing the script, and in some situations if you are very busy then the dispensary pharmacist could pc it. One of the major issues at the moment in hospitals is bed blocking, so the longer a patient ready for discharge is using that bed, the longer that another patient is waiting to be admitted. So you want them out of the door as quickly as possible.

Since Christmas my hospital has had pharmacy staff providing a full seven day service designed specifically to facilitate discharges.

We would normally treat the PD patient as the priority as they need their drugs. The diabetes patient has probably taken theirs at home before admission, so the final patient would be the patient waiting to be discharged.

Comment

Agree with Sparky. Get the discharge procedure started, then it's out of your way, and if something does go wrong, you're not chasing three emergencies simultaneously. Then the PD patient, as per Hibernia

Comment

Hi all

thanks for your repsonses I had a good read through them and found them very useful. Sparky the details regarding how to speed up discharge came in particularly handy.

Just an update;
                            I’ve had my interview and have been successful

I still have a long way to go but I’m just glad to have been given an opportunity at this stage.

For anyone else who might be interested here are some details of the interview;

drug chart
                            main issues;
                            paracetamol dose too high for someone weighing less than 50kg
                            paracetamol and concomitant co-codamol
                            methotrexate dose not weekly
                            methotrexate interaction with diclofenac
                            verapamil interaction with simvastatin
                            simvastatin interaction with clarithromycin
                            penicillin allergy and was prescribed co-amoxiclav.
                            Furosemide second dose given in the evening instead of lunchtime.
                            Potassium sparing diuretic given with ace inhibitor

Scenario;
                            1) PD patient with no meds’ and a diabetic admission needing insulin (this was grouped together as one point)
                            2) patient TTOs need checking for ambulatory discharge
                            3) you have a bleep
                            4) outpatient prescription needs counselling
                            5) junior doctor requires advice regarding warfarin

(I think there was one more point but I can’t remember!)

i went with
                            3) to see if it’s urgent
                            1) as PD needs timely meds’ and diabetic could be hyperglycaemic
                            2) don’t want to delay the discharge especially if an ambulance is scheduled
                            5)
                            then 4)

i probably could have given better answers during interview but I guess some enthusiasm helps too!

As for interview questions one that I haven’t come across before was;

you are going to start a rotation in a clinical specialty your not familiar with what do you do to prepare?

anyway hope that’s helpful to someone if anyone thinks I could have prioritised the scenario better please let me know!

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

There isn’t a ‘right’ answer. What they are looking for is that you can explain your reasoning and don’t ‘freeze’ under pressure. Well done and every success in the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X