Pharmacy assistant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy assistant

Hi everyone,newbie here and I have a question what does a pharmacy assistant in a hospital pharmacy do?

I am considering a change from retail to hsopital so that's kinda why I'd like some info.All help mucho appreciated.

Re: Pharmacy assistant

Hi V01,

In my hospital, the ATO's (assistants), label/dispense, have plenty to do re stock : ordering/checking orders received/putting away/batching; responsible for weekly stock checks and topping up for a particular ward, and some (as Medicine Management Assistants, MMAs) order inpatient drugs for patients on their wards too (under direction of pharmacist). They can be involved with teaching student techs and pre-regs to dispense, and senior assts can have some management roles too (incl people management).
    Have known several ATOs become student techs and go on to have fabulous careers -though there's a good enough career structure if you stay as an assistant too; however some assistants I know feel they do almost the same job as the techs just for less pay... Not strictly true (ato's don't become ACTs or counsel outpatients are just 2 examples where I work).

I'd say go for it (but then I love hospital work..)

BTW my background is as a pharmacist who started out as a Saturday counter assistant, became a dispenser, worked as a tech in hospital and eventually qualified as a pharmacist so have a lil bit of experience of both sectors and all main roles....
    Sure others can give you their experiences too to give you a nice rounded picture.
    The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Cheers funkeeduck,really useful info there.

Comment

No worries! Hope you go for it!
        The funkee pharmacist!

Comment

Go for it!!! I worked 6 years in community and have just started working in the hospital - ive been there about 9 weeks and cant ever imagine working in a shop again!!

Comment

Working...
          X