Hospital summer placements 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital summer placements 2009

I've opened this thread for those who are applying for a hospital summer placement for next summer through the Pharmalife website (as I am). If there are any queries about the application process, and for general tips on the application/interview stages please feel free to post here folks.

By the way has anyone started the process for next year or if not, does anyone know when applications can be started ?
    Last edited by Nik; 2, October 2008, 10:42 AM.
    http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Re: Hospital summer placements 2009

Hmmm... Either no-one has tips on applying for a hospital placement, no-one has any queries on the application process and/or no-one's applying for a hospital placement this year !!
    Looks like I might be in with a chance then...

Comment

Hmm so can we not apply through the pharmalife website then? As its still got details for this summer just gone on there..?

Comment

The Pharmalife site is for hospitals in the West Midlands only I think. I've been told that the application process opens early-mid november, or thereabouts.

Comment

Hi,
          Im in 3rd year too, but unfortunately have no experience whatsoever in neither a community pharmacy or anything to do with a pharmacy, which is really bad. I want to do my summer placement this year in a hospital pharmacy and im not sure where to start and how to go about it especially with the fact that i have no work experience at all.. :s
          any tips?

I live in Manchester, so do the rules for applying to hospitals differ than other areas of England?
          i hope any of you can help. I really dont know where to start from (

Comment

For summer placements in hospitals that are not in West Mids you probably have to get in touch with the hospital itself. If you're really struggling to get a placement try voluntary work experience for a few weeks and see if they'll take you on

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              The Pharmalife site is for hospitals in the West Midlands only I think. I've been told that the application process opens early-mid november, or thereabouts.
              Ahh so it's not opened yet i see, thank you for letting me know

Comment

Pharmalife is up and running for those who don't know yet

Comment

Thanks for letting us know! I've just completed my CV and referee details and it tells me to complete my profile, however i have no idea how to get onto it

Where do you go to complete this part? It actually writes "profile" and you can click on it, however nothing happens when you do click.. ?

Comment

Ooh i've found how you do it now nevermind, doesn't look to hopeful me getting a place when i can't even work out how to apply for one..

Comment

Originally posted by aseelupeelu View Post
                      Hi,
                      Im in 3rd year too, but unfortunately have no experience whatsoever in neither a community pharmacy or anything to do with a pharmacy, which is really bad. I want to do my summer placement this year in a hospital pharmacy and im not sure where to start and how to go about it especially with the fact that i have no work experience at all.. :s
                      any tips?

I live in Manchester, so do the rules for applying to hospitals differ than other areas of England?
                      i hope any of you can help. I really dont know where to start from (
                      Thank goodness someone is in the same position as me! So many little reasons and worries have stopped me applying or getting a job or placement. Some people in my class really look down on me for it, but I think I'm just a bit younger and less driven than they are. Also criminally indecisive.

I've got to send of a letter to the nearest hospital and right now it;s treading a fine line between enthusiastic and desperate (!) so any tips would also be much appreciated from me!

Comment

I am amazed that people are considering entering a profession without any idea of what it is like. I worked at BTC for couple of years while doing A levels. Surely you must have asked someone in pharmacy for their views. I suggest that you go straight round to your local pharmacy and ask if you could see the pharmacist when available. if you feel shy, ask to speak in private.
                        johnep

Comment

Bang on John.......Talk to your classmates..anyone's Dad/Mum looking for Saturday help? Visit local hospital pharmacies, and ask to speak to the head pharmacist. Approach the owners/managers of retail pharmacies. Talk to them...we're all in the same profession, and by definition, we ALWAYS have time to talk with one of our peers.

I did exactly the above in 1980..ended up working summers in the local hospital pharmacy..£90 a week..bliss!

You will soon feel at home...welcome!

Fleeg.
                          Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I have applies for jobs and for summer placements, but my lack of experience always gets in the way as other students come to snap up the places. I didn't have a chance before I cam to Uni because of where I lived and money/time issues at uni have various scuppered my enthusiasm.

I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I left school and Pharmacy seemed like a good course. I thought I would slide into it, but even though the uni side of it has been fine, the rest has not gone so smoothly.

I actually think I should have been discouraged from taking the course because I didn't know what I wanted. I wish someone had said "this course is too specific for you to change your mind" but they all bent the truth and told me I could go where I wanted with it. *le sigh*

Comment

Where are you from?

Fleeg.
                              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                              X