Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Pharmacies in London

Hello,

I'm a third year student in the process of applying to hospitals for my pre-reg year. I'm currently thinking of applying to one or two trusts in London and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences [good or bad] of applying to/working for any of the hospitals there, esp.w/ reference to pre reg year?

[I appreciate that probably amounts to a shedload of hospitals but the more info the merrier I say]

Thanks

Re: Hospital Pharmacies in London

There is lots of competition, especially amounst the well known teaching hospitals. You should make sure that your application is well written and that you really sell yourself at the interview. I got one interview out of four London hospitals and the interviewers were really nice but told me that I didn't sell my self hard enough.

Best of luck
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Heya Another

Have you applied to any so far?

I can give you a good insight into the London hospitals...which are you interested in?

Paul2008 - which hospital was that, if you don't mind me asking???
      Lazy Lady...
      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Typically the few I'm most interested in are teaching hospitals and as such are 'high demand'. I just want to go somewhere with a good programme and ideally a few interesting specialties.

I've not submitted any apps yet but I'm looking at

Charing Cross/H'smith
        Royal Free/UCLH/Whittington/St Pancras [20 places between them]
        St George's
        Chelsea/Westminster

in the main

Comment

These are BIG teaching hospitals you’re going for……

Have you applied for community posts, as a back up? You could also try considering the hospitals slightly on the edge of London.

They definitely offer good training and their post-registration training jobs are really good too. I know ppl who have/ or do work in these places.

Charing Cross hospital – a very good hospital. Recently installed ‘cytocare’ (a robot that helps with aseptic manufacturing). They offer the Residency post for the newly qualified. The hospital has recently merged with St Mary's and imperial college. An academic health science center. Based in West London. Pharmacy department is huge and busy.

UCLH – excellent hospitals. Made up of 8/9 hospitals all together with different specialties. The new state of art building is lovely. They offer an on-call service for the newly qualified (not the residency). I’ve heard the pre-reg interview is very clinical based. Mainly based in Central London.

Chelsea and Westminster – another great hospital. New state of art building, its lovely. Pharmacy department is not huge, but lots of pharmacy staff. They offer the residency post for the newly qualified. This is one place I know lots of ppl would love to work. Based in West London.

St Georges - a good teaching hospital. Offer the residency post for the newly qualified. Big pharmacy department. This is a hospital with a strong history. Based in Tooting.

It’s very competitive in London and I would advise you to call the hospital up to take a look around and show you’re keen.

Plz have a look at this link......

http://www.londonpharmacy.nhs.uk/edu...lacements.aspx
          Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
            These are BIG teaching hospitals you’re going for……

I agree, last year we were advised to apply for two big and to small hospitals to spread our chances, since I only got an interview with one big one out of the four, I am not sure that this always works out.

Apparently some hospitals will automatically ignore you if you do not rank them as your first choice, others do not mind. Read the details on the pharmalife portal but there are no clues as to which hospitals these are.

I agree that
            Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
            It’s very competitive in London and I would advise you to call the hospital up to take a look around and show you’re keen.
            It also helps if you can get to know the hospital a bit and what they are like. Remember they want somebody who will fit into the pharmacy team and if you can show that you are that type of person who will fit into that hospital, you are much more likely to get it.
            Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
            (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Come to Cambridge and Addenbrookes.
              Johnep

Comment

Thanks for the info on the hospitals, they all sound good places to work. I should make clear that I'm not London based and at least two of my applications will be nearer to home for me [Wales] and to good hospitals not listed as high demand. How that will come across I'm not sure but there we go.

Arranging a visit to any hospital I end up applying to would seem to be a sensible course of action, though I'll have to arrange it around work commitments etc.

As mentioned by paul2008 the ranking system seems to be a bit of a minefield-you don't want to give a misleading impression but at the same time you'd like to ensure that someone at least glances at your app. before binning it(!)

As far as Cambridge and Addenbrookes goes...I'll look it up maybe. To be honest though at this stage I'm trying to whittle down my options rather than add more to the mix.

Thanks again

Comment

Hey Another,

They have good hospitals in Wales too. You could also try the John Radcliff hospital (Oxford)…it’s not too far from you and its lovely. Very large hospital and they too offer the residency for the newly qualified. Living in a city like Oxford – lots of site seeing, shopping and romantic/historical buildings!!

I guess it would be sensible to choose the top two choices – big teaching hospitals and the remainders as backup….but I would discuss this with your tutor…. See what they think….

I wish you all the best…..
                  Lazy Lady...

Comment

Guys and St Thomas also offer a very comprehensive training programme.

Grandy

PRMC

Comment

I agree with you on that one. I’ve heard by many, that Guy’s/St. Thomas offer a structured competency training programme for pharmacists called the STEP.

The STEP is three years, and provides a very good base for junior pharmacists. I would definitely recommend it to newly qualified pharmacists or those wishing to transfer from other sectors!

It’s also in a great location….just near the London eye, Aquarium….very lively!

All the best

Lazy Lady...

Comment

Working...
                      X