No announcement yet.

Resident Pharmacy...wots it all about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Pharmacy...wots it all about?

Hiya ppl

Resident Pharmacy - Wots it all about?

I've heard its for band 6 hospital pharmacists, steep learning curve, resident stays on-site, only the big teaching hospitals provide this service etc

Does anyone know about the 'Residency'?

How do you cope with the Residency?

Lazy Lady...
    [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Re: Resident Pharmacy...wots it all about?

all what i know, you get free accomodation, you gotta work as a night shift pharmacist over there.
    if i am into hospital work, i would cope with it easily as during exams period" 2-3 weeks" i usually sleep at day time and study at night at the library...
    though i would not think you would love it as you will have a totally different life
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Ray my friend…

I too was a pharmacy student just like you, 2 years back …I had to stay up all nite to study…we’ve all done it!

I don’t think all the hospitals offer free accommodation, but they certainly give you a room to sleep in when you are the ‘resident of the nite’.

I really want to expand on my clinical knowledge and I feel the residency is one of the best ways to go.

Some say the residency is ‘torture and pleasure’ ….??

What do ppl think?

Lazy Lady...
      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

It seems the hospital pharmacists on the forum are not soo enthusiastic as the community pharmacists ….???

Are there any hospital/ resident pharmacists here?
        Lazy Lady...

Comment

i can only offer what i know, other people in this forum are not so giving unfortunately,
          resident pharmacist is normally band 7, even if newly qualified as the pay is a bit higher for holding this position. Duties involve obligation to cover nights and providing out of hours support, other than that work is just like a normal band 6/7.

Your right, not all the hospitals offer free accomodation but most do, some even offer this to pre-reg students.

I would assume you're newly qualified (2-3 years) and worked mostly in community, so from this I would advise, it's best to brush up all your clinical knowledge before applying for such a job, as it requires the use of x1000 more brain cells than community pharmacy, and one has to have a learning-philic (another new word) attitude.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Are you STILL HERE?
            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
              it's best to brush up all your clinical knowledge before applying for such a job, as it requires the use of x1000 more brain cells than community pharmacy, and one has to have a learning-philic (another new word) attitude.
              pfft. Hospital pharmacy doesn't require 1000x more brain cells, just a different set. Saying stuff like that really gets up the nose of community pharmacists - the majority of which would be happy and capable to work in a hospital environment (and the reverse is true for hospital pharmacists). The skillset may be different BUT it's no less difficult or easy in either field these days.
              Community pharmacists have to have a 'learning-philic' attitude too these days, or haven't you heard of CPD yet solly?
              To paraphrase Tony S, my bollox-o-meter is going off the scale...
              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanx a lot!!!!!! No one bothered to reply b4, only wen they wanted to attack ‘Solomon’ !!!!!!!

I’m really disappointed – esp with those TWO who keep on dragging this ‘Solomon thing’ .

Go and write on sum1 else's thread!!!!

I thort were you were nice ‘Dispensa---woteva’……u ignored me
                Lazy Lady...

Comment

i apologise lazy, i really genuinely wasn't ignoring you - as i explained via pm. the only reason i posted on this thread was because i didn't want you getting poor advice, and to an extent i will admit my ire was irked.
                  If you like i can put you in touch with one of my friends who started out a few years ago on the hospital circuit and he can help give you a perspective on the live-in life.
                  “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Apologise as well Lazy.
                    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Hi de hi!

As the name suggests, I'm a lowly band 6 hospital pharmacist! I've not done residency, but people I know have. It varies from hospital to hospital - some require you to be in the dispensary working all night (basically doing a night shift), and some need you to be in the department until a certain time, and then contactable by pager until the pharmacy reopens. Hospitals tend to provide accomodation for residents, or at least a place to kip.

It will be a very steep learning curve. Remember, people are calling you for an answer to a problem quite often, not just because they want something dispensed. You will need to get the answer because there is no-one else to ask. The medics could very literally be holding on until you tell them what to do. Kinda scary..! It will also be quite frustrating, as you may be asked to deal with stuff that should have been sorted during the day. A lot of ex-residents say it was the making of them.

If you apply, may I wish you the very best of luck, and suggest you get used to making VERY strong coffee...!
                      Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

You know what it can mean being pretty nice and wearing a pager?

Comment

Originally posted by johannes View Post
                          Sorry, I don't understand.
                          Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

"Hospital pharmacy doesn't require 1000x more brain cells, just a different set"

so firstly it does, Someone with hospital experience wrote "It will be a very steep learning curve" point proven, 1000 was just a random number i picked out, but I think who I was talking to understood what I meant.

secondly i'm a (Locum) community pharmacist myself who is saying this.

thirdly well done to Lazy Nite, she wrote " I thort were you were nice ‘Dispensa---woteva’……u ignored me "

Now I can't normally get away with stuff like this unless I write in perfect Queen's English, (Thus the following im getting from the two), but Lazy you even got an apology despite the above (cant wait for one the two to say im trying to insult you). There's people cracking jokes all over this forum, I try to have a bit of banter, and i get chased all over this forum....
                            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Hey Band6

Thank you so much for your reply!! I’ve been waiting for ages for sum1 to tell me about the ‘Residency’!

Can I ask which part of UK did your hospital colleagues undertake the residency?

I understand it’s a steep learning curve – but that’s why I want to do it. I want to have a good base….

Johannes – Can you explain what you mean? Plz?
                              Lazy Lady...

Comment

Working...
                              X