Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cephalexin granulate for suspension problem

Dear Colleagues,

From oone of our cliƫnts in Norway, I got the following question. She tried to make a suspension of cephalexin (keflex). She added 30 ml of water to the flask, shook and added the second 30 ml of water to the flask. Upon shaking the second time, she noticed that the cephalexin had formed a solid mass that was -according to her- quite difficult to suspend.

Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know what might have caused it and, how can it be prevented? I have not had this problem and I know of no other complaints about this.
    molecules are just energy made mobile

Making Suspensions

Robert

I think all you can do is shake the powder to loosen it, and add the whole 60mls at once. A good shake should give it a good enough mix.

The batch could have possibly been an old one, or even out of date? That could have caused some caking of the powder. I think it's better to add all the required water at once, so to avoid a thick suspension, followed by "watering down" of it.

The last idea I can think of is to report this to the company who makes it, it could be a bad batch. If all else fails I'd buy in a different brand if the drug is being prescribed as a generic.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Re: Making Suspensions

Originally posted by admin

I think all you can do is shake the powder to loosen it, and add the whole 60mls at once. A good shake should give it a good enough mix.
      That's correct- a good shake of the dry powder so that the water is able to penetrate and "wet" all the powder is the best technique.

Other reasons for an unsatisfactory mix could be that the bottle hasnt been sealed and the powder was damp to begin with
      The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

Comment

Racer

Was this a test?

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
          Racer

Was this a test?

Of course it was. :roll: Your license depended on it... :wink:
          molecules are just energy made mobile

Comment

Of course it was. Your license depended on it...
            OK fair enough - I guess I'd better watch what I post from now on!

:?

Comment

As a sideline, I've always loved the smell of cefalexin suspension. I'm always tempted to try a swig myself!
              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Swigs ?

I once knew a pharmacist who had a swig of the green stuff to see what it made him feel like!

I reckon a swig of cefalexin suspension is nothing compared to that - go on swig the lot!

:twisted:

Comment

Working...
                X