Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Practice vrs Community

Hi,

I'm aware this has been covered before but wanted any additional and/ or upto date thoughts. I have been offered a post on the GP pathway doing the CPPE course and eventually IP qualification over 3years. I currently work in community but feel that I have stagnated somewhat - I would have to take a significant pay cut which I can just about afford. I assume that I would be able to bridge the pay gap once I have the IP qualification but i wouldn't be able to return to community at the same salary if it didn't work out. I would appreciate any thoughts as I need to make the decision soon.
    Last edited by Axiomatic69; 9th, April 2019, 04:50 PM.

I took a 33% pay cut to leave retail for industry. Made up somewhat by the perks and locums at week ends.
    johnep

Comment

My advice is negotiate the salary upwards. I went from being a locum to start at a GP surgery four years ago and was paid £30k for a 22 hour week. My company took on two new pharmacists on the same scheme and both negotiated on the salary, getting the company to add in an extra 5-6k. Nobody can afford to take a pay cut in this day and age.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

• Axiomatic69
        Axiomatic69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I've already negotiated to the top end of the available pay scale - I read your previous post about really enjoying your new role - does this still hold true? Sounds so much more engaging and rewarding than community and once you have the IP and/or senior role can get nearer back to and beyond PM salary?

The company I work for topped up the top end of the pay scale for our new pharmacists. They are basically getting you for free for the first year so can easily afford a few grand on top. I do still enjoy it a lot more then working in retail which was what I mainly did before as a locum. I saw eight patients on Monday morning and prescribed for four of them. The rest of the week I do all sorts of things and really enjoy it. I feel valued by our team of doctors twenty times more then I ever did working in any pharmacy. I’d recommend making a really good first impression when you get the chance (which you will). It could be using your contacts for getting a favour, say meds delivered on a Friday night to an elderly patient at home with an exacerbation of COPD or something like that. Anything you are asked to look at give good precise information. I generally do a summary for the docs or nurses with links containing more information underneath. That way they have what they need and can look further if they want to. If you see any errors politely point them out. These are often of the nature of changing inhalers but leaving the old ones on repeat so they are issued again. This wastes NHS money obviously and shows you care about the health service and their budget. Get to know which bloods people need annually and the drugs affected by kidney issues, eg ACE inhibitors and at what GFR does the dose need lowering, things like that. Send people for bloods if necessary, eg HbA1c, BCP and lipids annually for essential hypertension. Throw in FBC if their GFR is below 60. Show them you know (and strongly advise patients) on the importance of taking anticoagulants in AF. I’m sure you’ll soon get the hang of it.

On a personal note I was thinking of writing a book for practice pharmacists with things they need to know. What do you think to that as an idea? It wouldn’t cost a fortune, say £15 - £20. Would you consider purchasing such a book?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

• Axiomatic69
        Axiomatic69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I think the book is a great idea and I for one would certainly buy it. From the reading I have done it seems likely that there will be many more pharmacists in primary care/ general practice in the coming years, so there will be a market for it.

Originally posted by admin View Post

On a personal note I was thinking of writing a book for practice pharmacists with things they need to know. What do you think to that as an idea? It wouldn’t cost a fortune, say £15 - £20. Would you consider purchasing such a book?
      Sign me up for the book too!

If you need a proof reader give me a shout.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Make sure to consider all the T's and C's.

If you end up on an NHS pension that's worth a fortune in itself. To quote another website: NHS Pension vs Personal Pension for a 25 year old
        • 1 year’s NHS Pension contribution will give you an NHS Pension of £2,365.25 per annum (index linked) at age 68.
        • To provide an equivalent pension at age 68, you would have to pay 29.7% of your basic pay that year into a personal pension. That’s 20.4% more than the 9.3% contribution that you currently pay into your NHS Pension.
        Add 15 to 20% to your salary for that alone!!

In addition better holidays and working conditions make this a no-brainer for your long term career prospects and financial planning. Short term pain for long term gain.

Edit: The calculations above would be based on a starting salary of £30,000 pounds per year.
        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
        X