Written Tests For General Practice Interviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Tests For General Practice Interviews

Having experienced a bunch of interviews for GP and CCG roles, I decided to make this thread as a) I am a bit rusty and personally need the practice; and b) to help others understand what they may encounter.

So generally speaking, you will be presented with patient case studies, not to the extreme degree you get in some band 6 positions but ones which require you to review medication and make dose adjustments (as well as minor ailments). Most of the interviews I have had did allow BNFs to be used HOWEVER it seems a lot of places are now asking you to do it with a) no BNF; or b) a BNF they provide (which is untagged and you cant use online BNF, emc or medicines complete).

My questions to you all are as follows: a) what are your experiences of written tests in general practice interviews (non-prescribing and prescribing) and b) how would you prepare for an interview without any support aides?

In fairness I never flagged my bnf. If you studied it preparing for your registration exam you know it well enough to figure out where the answer is. (Although since the format change I'd be a bit slower)

If you were preparing for a gp or ccg role I'd say complete the common interactions cppe module. Other than that there's a reason they look for experience in these roles. After 3 or 4 years in practice you should know what commonly prescribed medicines are all for and a rough approximation of the standard doses. I'd be worried if someone didn't.

Knowing expected common blood counts for gp roles wouldn't hurt either. The mini oxford medical dictionary is a perfect resource for that.
    I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

A copy of Stockley interactions (£240) could be in a large library. Common interactions probably on the net.
      johnep

Comment

Working...
      X