GP Practice vs community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP Practice vs community

I’m currently working part time in a community pharmacy. I like the job, it’s in a nice area with good dispensing staff and to an extent there is some flexibility (e.g. if I need to swap days). On the other hand we’re often short-staffed, more pressure is now applied re. services and I earn less than I did ten years ago. I’ve seen a job advertised locally in a surgery. It is also part time and suggests the successful applicant will be supported through IP qualification. Those of you working in surgeries, how do you find it?

Apply in person tomorrow!
    johnep

Comment

I know, it sounds like a no-brainer. Just wondered if there are any down sides.

Comment

Never heard anything bad by the pharmacists I know that work in GP surgeries.

Only concerns would be you like where you are and which uni would be used for IP as there seems to be a large variation in workload.

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          I did my IP at Hull which had a large workload. Having said that to be honest it won’t be beyond any pharmacist to pass the course. If you want more details just ask.

• mcitr
          mcitr commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. I know one person who did it at Hull at the same, seemed to be quite a substantial workload compared to some other ones.

Only really commented on in the sense that most pharmacists I've worked with have reservations about extra study and it's a substantial commitment that won't suit everyone's life, but obviously comes with substantial benefits for the sacrifice.

It was a big workload but I’ve since heard from people who went there after me that the volume has been greatly reduced.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Do not hesitate - get in there and do whatever is necessary to get this position.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I have just made the change it is direction of travel see the news community pharmacy is in its death throes it will only get harder to get jobs in surgeries that's why I made the jump after 25plus years in community, you can always go back if you don't like it

Comment

Originally posted by Chemicalboy2 View Post
              I have just made the change it is direction of travel see the news community pharmacy is in its death throes it will only get harder to get jobs in surgeries that's why I made the jump after 25plus years in community, you can always go back if you don't like it
              This is the real new area of practice that has opened up for vocational pharmacists and has turned into a refuge/haven for them.
              (At least the non-proprietors and those who work under decent T&C)
              Glad you have made the move.
              Disruptive change CP will change it beyond recognition.
              Market forces are driving the business... pharmacists are chasing after it trying to keep up.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
              X