Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non prescribing practice pharmacist salary

Hi all,
    I have been offered a practice pharmacist job as part of the NHS pilot but I feel the pay is low at £18.50. I have no NHS experience but many years of community pharmacy experience. Does anyone know what sort of hourly rate practices are offering to pharmacists in my situation?

Thank you

I know of a couple of people who have negotiated the salary upwards so that’s worth a try. They did it by getting the surgery to top up the salary for them to a more realistic amount. The scheme does have a lot of study days on it as as I understand so it’s not too bad. It’s essentially a training course and you get the IP qualification as well as mentoring whilst on the scheme. Even if you can’t get more money I’d still recommend doing it if you can afford to take a hit in salary. Obviously this depends on your personal circumstances and wether or not you can take a reduced salary for a couple of years or not.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

It does sound like a really interesting role and I’d love to take it but it is a lot less money and I’m only part time so it makes a big difference. How long does the IP training course take to complete? Do you like prescribing?

Comment

• admin
        admin commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a much more interesting role and I really like it to be honest. Prescribing is something that made me really nervous when I started doing it but now I feel fine about it. I often supplement my income by working my days off from the surgery with locums. Why don’t you try to Push for mor money, add in a few locum days, and you should be ok. You won’t tegret making the change.

The IP course took about a year to complete.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Glad you’re enjoying your role. Are you still a practice pharmacist or do you just do prescribing now? I would like to do it so I’ll ask for more money and see how it goes.

Comment

• mcitr
          mcitr commented
          Editing a comment
          Ackerman bargaining.

That’s so strange..it’s not posting my full reply! OK I figured it out..it doesn’t like emojis!

Comment

I've been working in GP surgery now for 2 years as part of the pilot and I come from a community background too.

I'd advise you to take the job as part of the pilot, they will lowball you with a salary to begin with because of your experience and the fact that you're not a prescriber at the moment. As soon as you show what you're capable of doing and get the IP you can start to negotiate and if they don't budge I'd happily walk away into another job.
          There are lots of surgeries looking for pharmacists if you look on the NHS job website.... and if you already have the IP and/or other qualifications like minor illnesses etc, you can demand more straight away!

So I guess what I'm saying is... ask for more, if you don't get it, complete the IP and then ask for more, if you don't get it after that.... move on.

Comment

£18.50 is fairly close to industry standard.

If you look at entry level jobs in community now this seems to be around the same point even with a reasonable amount of experience behind you.

As the others have said get a commitment that they'll sponsor and supervise your IP course then you'll be in a much stronger place.

Don't discount the benefits of NHS employment as well if that's the type of contract they offer you.
            I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by StraightOuttaDispensary View Post
              I've been working in GP surgery now for 2 years as part of the pilot and I come from a community background too.

I'd advise you to take the job as part of the pilot, they will lowball you with a salary to begin with because of your experience and the fact that you're not a prescriber at the moment. As soon as you show what you're capable of doing and get the IP you can start to negotiate and if they don't budge I'd happily walk away into another job.
              There are lots of surgeries looking for pharmacists if you look on the NHS job website.... and if you already have the IP and/or other qualifications like minor illnesses etc, you can demand more straight away!

So I guess what I'm saying is... ask for more, if you don't get it, complete the IP and then ask for more, if you don't get it after that.... move on.
              Thanks for the advice. Do you prefer it to community? Have you done the CPPE training? Was that helpful?

Comment

• StraightOuttaDispensary
                Editing a comment
                Definitely prefer it more than community.... sometimes I do community locums just to remind myself how much I appreciate my current role... As silly as that sounds....

I did the Cppe training.... it was okay.... nothing special but it got me out of surgery for the day and I got fed, so happy days!

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
              £18.50 is fairly close to industry standard.

If you look at entry level jobs in community now this seems to be around the same point even with a reasonable amount of experience behind you.

As the others have said get a commitment that they'll sponsor and supervise your IP course then you'll be in a much stronger place.

Don't discount the benefits of NHS employment as well if that's the type of contract they offer you.
              Is it really?! That seems very low for community!

They are supporting me to do IP course so I guess it’ll just be for a few years!

I’ve heard NHS benefits are really good..I haven’t had the terms and conditions through yet!

Thank you for your advice.

Comment

Just because you don't have an IP qualification that does not stop you prescribing in a surgery. I knew 2 IP pharmacists working in a GP surgery both on £30/hour. Although they were IP's, the GPs at the time did not want them to prescribe using their IP. Instead, in their clinics, the pharmacists would prescribe but GP's would sign off the scrips. Things have changed now and they're prescribing properly (I don't know their rates now).
                Also don't forget, when you're working in a GP surgery your indemnity is higher, so unless your surgery is willing to cover you, you better be getting a decent pay to help cover for these costs.
                If they're not willing to pay you the good sums, just work there for a while, get your IP and if you're still not earning £30-40/per hour then simply leave.

Sadly it seems once again, we have pharmacists accepting low pays and they bring down the overall salary for rest of us. When there are nurses earning up to £40/hour in surgeries, what should pharmacists get paid half of that? it's ridiculous. I am not aiming this comment at you, in your case I don't blame you much but I am talking generally. As pharmacists we need to get together to stop these ridiculous salaries. If we decide to do something about it, there's not much they can do to stop it.

Comment

Wow I didn’t realise we are so badly paid compared to nurses! It is hard though as if I don’t take the job I’m sure someone else will! Luckily they have raised their offer so it is a bit better.

I just had a look at indemnity insurance through the PDA and it really is so much higher than for community pharmacy! Do surgeries normally cover pharmacists or do we have to get our own cover? Also, do they reimburse for GPhC fees? I will ask them but it’d be nice to know what other surgeries are doing so I have an idea.

Comment

• StraightOuttaDispensary
                  Editing a comment
                  My surgery paid for my indemnity, it makes sense because I sign maybe 70-100 prescriptions a day and so the surgery are benefiting from this.
                  However I paid for my own GPhC fees, they might reimburse you but you'd have to ask.
              Working...
              X