Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further study for work in General Practice

Hi all,

I am relatively new to General Practice and I am employed on the NHS/CPPE pilot scheme.

I feel like there is so much I need to refresh on, learn further and upskill on.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any postgraduate learning, courses or standalone modules they have undertaken?

Thanks in advance.

Have you searched the forum using the search box?
    johnep

Comment

Hi johnep,

Yes I have.

I'm hoping for recommendations more related to work in General Practice.
      I have seen some PG Clinical Skills/Clinical Examination/Clinical Diagnostics courses - was wondering if anyone has done them or any similar courses and would recommend them.

Thanks.

Comment

I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of the "Oxford handbook of clinical medicine". Really useful guide on interpreting results and a good refresher for diagnostic skills.

Coupled with a trusty copy of the BNF I think you're covered.
        I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Hi Nimrec,

Thanks for that - I'll get a copy.

Comment

Most people I know working in a GP setting are doing an advanced practitioner course and they are either an independent prescriber (IP) already or doing the course in tandem with the AP course. So my advice is definitely look into doing these two. Manchester University is apparently going to integrate the IP into their Mpharm course and who knows, maybe they'll also incorporate diagnosis skills like AP course in there as well. Thus, pharmacy students could end up being capable prescribers right out of university! And although this makes me happy for our profession, it means the rest of us better start getting these qualifications otherwise we may end up finding ourselves redundant...I am saying this as someone that qualified as a pharmacist this year!

Anyway, going back closer to original question, I worked in a GP surgery, my advice is also know your NICE guidelines really really well. You'd be surprised how many GP's are unaware regarding some important aspects of these guidelines. I had to explain to a GP you don't automatically put all confirmed stage 1 hypertensives on treatment.

Comment

Working...
            X