Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get involved in GP pharmacist training pathway as a community pharmacist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space ghost I haven’t seen the vacancy myself but was told it was placed on the NHS job site. We had five applicants in total but two were outside of the U.K. without even a visa to work in this country so we’re discounted. Of the other three one was unsuitable and the other two were offered positions via email on Monday and as yet the organisation I work for has had no reply so far.

As I understand they didn’t ask for any specific qualifications. The positions were part of the scheme that supports pharmacists through the IP course. I have been told that having an “interest”in a clinical area alone puts candidates above others as so many pharmacists don’t even have this. The last time we had a vacancy (a few months back) one of the candidates only question was ”Will I have to do any courses and learn anything else” which doesn’t put us in a good light! Another candidates answer to “Give an example of a clinical intervention you have made and tell us the outcome” was “I once had a prescription that hadn’t been signed by the prescriber”. We gave the position to a candidate that left a few weeks later and refused to attend an exit interview or even answer emails asking why he had left. I suspect he realised just how terrrible his clinical knowledge was and ran for the hills.

A clinical diploma doesn’t really get anyone an advantage from what I hear. The GPs don’t really rate a diploma, maybe because they don’t really understand what’s involved. They are looking for a keen person, with interests in drugs and patients and someone who is willing to learn. The ability to work as part of a multi disciplinary team and fit in is important. You sound like the right sort of person for a role in general practice and I’m sure an opportunity will soon come your way.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceghost1 View Post

Under what title did you advertise the position? I looked on the NHS site for my area and couldn't find anything related to pharmacists outside of hospital.

I thought I would chance it and sent an email to a GP group asking how they recruited their pharmacists, hopefully they will reply with some information (they seem to have about 20 practices in their group). There doesn't seem to be a lot of information or consistency on how to find the positions if you are a pharmacist, just if you are a practice wanting to apply for funding. Maybe the key is to phone/email every surgery and ask them if they have enrolled or are looking to.

The list of sites taking part (https://www.england.nhs.uk/publicati...e-pilot-sites/) seems a bit outdated, the spreadsheet only goes up to wave 3 but they should be on wave 6 now. Some of the group's names on that spreadsheet don't really tell me where they are so it's difficult to track down contact details. There is one that is local but when you google their name, nothing comes back.

Admin, would I be correct in assuming your organisation offered the DMP to the pharmacists, getting on the IP course is not too difficult as long as you have a DMP behind you, did you look for any clinical qualifications beyond being a standard pharmacist? I have just hit my two year mark for being qualified so I don't have any further qualifications yet. I cannot decide if it is more sensible to do a clinical diploma first or just try and get straight onto this and hopefully get training on the job, I don't want to miss the proverbial boat.
      I’ve found that the best way to find pharmacy jobs on nhsjobs is to just use pharmacy as the search term. That gives you every job in pharmacy but you can quickly scroll through them to discard any non relevant ones. As a tech I used to use pharmacy technician but ended up with every job that included technician in the title!

Have you considered hospital as an entry to the diploma/ip? You would get the opportunity to increase your clinical knowledge while being sponsored though the diploma and ip.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkybw View Post

I’ve found that the best way to find pharmacy jobs on nhsjobs is to just use pharmacy as the search term. That gives you every job in pharmacy but you can quickly scroll through them to discard any non relevant ones. As a tech I used to use pharmacy technician but ended up with every job that included technician in the title!

Have you considered hospital as an entry to the diploma/ip? You would get the opportunity to increase your clinical knowledge while being sponsored though the diploma and ip.
        I would be unlikely to move into hospital as it would mean a substantial pay cut.

Thanks for your information admin, I did manage to email one of the local surgery groups and they said they would soon be posting their adverts on nhs jobs, although they didn't say when (hopefully I won't miss it). The company I currently work for have suggested they want me to move to a larger pharmacy in the next few months so that has thrown a spanner in the works but I still think making the move to General Practice will be more rewarding in the long term. I am getting the impression that in a few years there will be many positions for practice based pharmacists available, but probably it is still best to get my foot in the door sooner rather than later.

Comment

I did find something interesting when throwing out some old papers the other day - a locum bill from 2003 that was exactly the same hourly rate as I charge today
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Sorry can anybody tell me what DMP stands for please?

Comment

• admin
              admin commented
              Editing a comment
              Designated medical practitioner - your doctor supervisor for the IP course.

Thank you everyone who has replied and given me advice. Just a bit of update from myself - I've managed to find a clinical pharmacist position at a nearby town! I'm going to start at Dec because of the long 3 months notice period but apart from that I'm really looking forward to the new job! They are offering me full support through the cppe gp pharmacist pathway and ip course so that's a plus. Hopefully on my next post I'll be a happy pharmacist but not a depressed pharmacist .

Comment

• admin
              admin commented
              Editing a comment
              Great news!
          Working...
          X