Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Getting on a Prescribing course Problems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I will do.
    Uni have written back and yes they're fine with the consultant as DMP.

Comment

• admin
      admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent !

I think basically, so many people in pharmacy of a certain age are desperate to escape community to the land of milk and honey, that GPs must be overwhelmed with being asked to be a DMP? Plus I suppose all the newly qualifieds are trying to do the same, look at that Ravi Sharma, only qualified 5 minutes and seems to be the BBC expert on GP practice pharmacy! How did that happen? I mean, I admire him for what he's trying to do, but where is his experience in the community at the dispensing bench that some of us have slaved away at for over 20 yrs !!
    At the moment i feel it is just too competitive and everyone wants to do it and there are simply no spaces available. If that changes when pharmacists can be DMPs, then I might look at it again, but right now, i feel it's just simply over subscribed, and for a uni to not even reply to my enquiry, well, that says it all really, they must be inundated with applicants who have secured a DMP !! I mean a Uni turning down fees that are ready to go, must be a first ! ?

Comment

• admin
      admin commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as the uni ignoring you and turning down fees I totally agree and had the same feeling as you. I don't think we are swamped with DMP requests from pharmacists though. I wasn't desperate to stop community pharmacy myself although it had no pleasure for me. I did go a meeting recently with about 100 or more people and only two of us were practice pharmacists. The first speaker said they wanted to get more professions working in the surgeries especially pharmacists. Later a rep sat at our table and was telling us that one of the surgeries had made a pharmacist a partner.

To mrlittlebigman's comment about being a cheap glorified Dr - I don't think I'm that and I feel like a pharmacist. You don't need to be IP to work in a GP surgery. I just help by seeing some minor ailments patients and prescribe for them which is why I did the IP course. Most of my time is spent helping the staff and patients with medication queries. We have nurses who see diabetes, asthma and COPD patients and prescribe for them. I really do enjoy my role in the surgery and feel respected by all the staff. I get paid the same as I did when working as a locum in retail pharmacy which is what I asked for.

Oh and no offence taken by the way. Please feel free to comment and ask anything you like.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I am an active IP in addictions offering methadone and buprenorphine. It is not rocket science as I only prescribe two drugs although it is much more civilised than working in community pharmacy. During my IP course there were many hospital pharmacists who had hospital consultants as their DMP's. They and the practice based pharmacists were at an advantage when doing their period of learning in practice as they were already in practice per se. I as a community locum had to take days off and arrange sessions with my DMP, asthma nurses, practice based pharmacists etc. I am glad I have done the course and it certainly has opened doors for me, I don't set foot in community pharmacy anymore.

I didn't feel that it was that time consuming, so long as you wrote up what you had learned as you went along there was not much writing to do at the end. My Uni gave us a template to work to so I just filled it in immediately after I learned a new skill. Pretty simple. The GP stuff was really not rocket science either. Most of the consultations were MSK related, usually sore knees or ankles, and I became a dab hand at prescribing Naproxen, it had just been switched from diclofenac at the time. My DMP was pretty laid back and a good laugh too so I found the whole process relatively easy and it provided me an escape from the dispensary bench every week. I did a couple of consultations supervised by my dmp and he was happy that I had covered all bases and signed me off. NES, which is CPPE in Scotland, provided the funding for the course and also provided funding for a Clinical Examination skills course at Glasgow Medical School and a Examination in Common Conditions Course at Dundee Medical School which was pretty good of them to do. All in all I had to take some days off work to do my plp but in total all I had to pay was my train tickets to Glasgow and Dundee and a bottle of a single malt for my DMP, which was much appreciated by him. I find however that most non medical prescribing in GP practices is carried out by the ANP's and pharmacists tend to deal with discharge planning, money saving switches and polypharmacy reviews. I would like to do minor ailment prescribing at some point.

Comment

Has anyone been asked on the application form for the IP course to write down a list of drugs you wish to prescribe? When I contacted the course leader she said yes write the name of each drug down! Is this normal procedure on an application form?

Comment

We have been asked to submit something similar (a personal formulary), although in my case it was after I got on the course and not as part of the application process - either drug names or groups of drugs.
          http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...snroses2-1.jpg

”We are real. We are not glam sh*t or anything else. We are Guns N’ Roses.”

Comment

Hi All,
            I am a GP in Buckinghamshire, and am currently a DMP to 2 pharmacists.
            We have DMP's who would be willing to take on prospective independent prescriber course students.
            In the past we have helped pharmacists and nurses to obtain their qualifications, some of whom have gone onto work for The RPS and G.P. practices and hospitals locally.
            Our aim is to help all IP's through the course, to provide support and mentorship and are fees are no where near as what has been quoted on this forum and others!
            If you are interested please feel free to message me.
            All the best and kind regards,
            GP-DMP
            Last edited by admin; 16th, January 2018, 11:07 AM. Reason: Removed link

Comment

I will be coming up to two years qualified in the Summer and wouldn't find diversifying my skills to become an IP. My local uni does it but I need to find a DMP, but how does one do that? (other than paying the chap above). To be fair if it was a fair fee I would probably consider it. Also, where is the best place to look for practice jobs? I have emailed my uni with these questions, hopefully, I will have better luck with the replies (they are my old uni so hopefully they remember me and don't ignore me!). My uni website didn't mention that you need to have been given a job at a practice as well, just that you need to be qualified 2 years and have a DMP). The fee is just under 2k but I'm confused as to whether we pay that or the NHS does (as the price is stated on the site but then also says it has funding).

Comment

Hello again,

Just an update on my progress since I was the original poster.

i have just finished my IP course awaiting my results .

I have also just been offered a position as a practice pharmacist as a band 7 salary range which will mean a drop in salary together with travelling but my only worry is it a one year contract so a big decision to take after 25 years in community pharmacy with a good salary to give up.

i have been lucky that I have worked in the same area for all them years and respected in the area as community Pharmacist like in the old days so have a number of customers that have good relationship with since I know their family history and I am missed when on holiday etc so a big wrench to leave but it has taken its toll and want a better work life balance no more 9pm finishes and weekend ends Christmas etc, I have no family so fortunate financially solvent .
                The pharmacy staff are great all long termers and work hard for me and a happy team but hate our multiple employer who puts more and more services and say we are over staffed so long term prospects are not good so for that reason I feel will take the risk of leaving and do my best in that one year so I become indispensable to them and they do not know about my IP course yet so may need to arrange a salary review all the dr'/ and staff are keen for me to join and first impressions were good even get my own office and will get a proper lunch hour unlike now where I am lucky to get 10 minutes.

spoken to friends to I know it's the future but I know have become institutional to community pharmacy and do like my job but the stress as increased in particular when quality payment time, mums and nms but lucky my shop performs so the area manager leaves me alone and there worse shops which take their time up more than me so it's a good shop but I think due my staff and me working hard together with going in early and leaving late sometime.

just wondered what others would do ?

also just a thank you to Admin for her support to help getting me where I am funnily enough I was the oldest on my IP course but hoping my people skills will come handy in the practice.

Comment

• admin
                  admin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Negotiate on the salary. We have two pharmacists starting at our practice and they negotiated the salary upwards. I am currently negotiating for an increase myself as I am paid £25 per hour and my colleague gets £32 plus an extra weeks holiday. If you need help in negotiating look up Margaret Nepalese from Stamford university on YouTube, she’s got some great advice.

https://youtu.be/MXFpOWDAhvM

Originally posted by Chemicalboy2 View Post

it has taken its toll and want a better work life balance no more 9pm finishes and weekend ends Christmas etc, I have no family so fortunate financially solvent.
                just wondered what others would do ?
                You have answered your own question. Unless you couldn’t live on the salary you have to take this chance. Even if you are let go after a year you will get something else.
                Congratulations on breaking out. I wish we had the same opportunities in Ireland.

Comment

Thank you for your reply

Comment

Best move for you Chemicalboy! Once your surgery realise how much you actually do, they will want to keep you.
                    I've worked in GP practice for 2 years now, and within the first 6 months they were offering me employment after my 3 year placement had finished. I also negotiated better pay once I had my IP which the surgery quickly realised was very beneficial.
                    I wasn't able to negotiate as well as Admin but it definitely beat my previous hourly rate in community and there's more room for negotiation once I get more experience!

Comment

Hello Again,

I have accepted the position and will you informed on my progress good or bad. I have hopefully negotiated a rise after my 6 month probationary period when I will start using my IP qualification but they said they had Band8a pharmacist applying for the position but went with salary suggested by CCG pharmacist so didn’t interview them so am just glad I got the position and first one to get a job from my cohort who did the course.

Comment

Just wondered if anyone moved from community to gp surgery had second thoughts about it? Any regrets or cold feet?

Comment

Working...
                        X