Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Getting on a Prescribing course Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Getting on a Prescribing course Problems?

A while ago Admin I sent me a copy of her presentation that she used to get employment as a practice pharmacist. Which was very helpful however I have not been able pursue it any further due the following and wondered if anyone else has the same issues or how to overcome them, any help would be much appreciated.

I have not been able to move forward with the practice pharmacist role application process due to after meeting the NHS lead in the area I practice and in charge of prescribing course entry ,when I met her stated that I could not get on the prescribing course run by various university because I had no job to go as a practice pharmacist I could not be allowed on the course,even if I was self funded which seemed a catch 22 since no- one will give me a practice pharmacist position without having the qualification.
    I am doing all the cppe courses so i have a insight about the role and doing diagnosis course in March which all helps but I have got a bit disillusioned with practice pharmacist application process since have a designated Dmp and permission from my employer but cannot get pass the NHS lead to allow to get on the course.

Kind regards

I am surprised you cannot self fund. I However I would expect the main issue with getting on the course to be a prescribing mentor to supervise the practical side of the course. My understanding is that the course is funded and the mentor provided by the organisation that intends to employ your as prescriber. I presume admin persuaded the practice of the value a prescribing pharmacist could bring, and as result they provided the funded the mentor and the job at the end of it.

Comment

• admin
      admin commented
      Editing a comment
      The CCG fund the course, not the practice. The DMP works at the practice and puts in time and effort but no money. I persuaded the practice I work at that it would be worth the effort my DMP had to put in and I'd be worth employing. Up to now it's been great to be honest. I passed my prescribing course and have actually written and signed quite a few prescriptions.

It's unusual because you'd think they would bite your hand off to take you on especially with the fact that you are self-funded, have a DMP and also because surgeries are looking for pharmacists. I've heard that in some areas recruitment agencies in charge of GP practice positions are taking on all pharmacists just to fill the positions as they are having difficulties.
    I would probably phone a different area and speak to a different NHS lead and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemicalboy2 View Post
      A while ago Admin I sent me a copy of her presentation that she used to get employment as a practice pharmacist. Which was very helpful however I have not been able pursue it any further due the following and wondered if anyone else has the same issues or how to overcome them, any help would be much appreciated.

I have not been able to move forward with the practice pharmacist role application process due to after meeting the NHS lead in the area I practice and in charge of prescribing course entry ,when I met her stated that I could not get on the prescribing course run by various university because I had no job to go as a practice pharmacist I could not be allowed on the course,even if I was self funded which seemed a catch 22 since no- one will give me a practice pharmacist position without having the qualification.
      I am doing all the cppe courses so i have a insight about the role and doing diagnosis course in March which all helps but I have got a bit disillusioned with practice pharmacist application process since have a designated Dmp and permission from my employer but cannot get pass the NHS lead to allow to get on the course.

Kind regards
      It really is a catch 22 situation and one that I found myself in. I basically had to have a job where I needed to be a prescriber in order to get on the course. Fortunately I managed to secure a position and then get my place on the course.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by Grinding Cobblers; 14th, June 2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Brilliant post and reflects a lot of how things went for me. I'd just add that I did manage to get paid employment as a practice pharmacist before I started the IP course. I'd advise anyone to keep trying because once you have a position and a DMP you can hopefully start the IP course. The actual course is not academically difficult, it's just very time consuming! Since passing I have had two pharmacists with me whilst I saw and examined patients.

It's amazing how quickly you get used to examining people. In the beginning I felt really nervous doing this kind of thing. We did an OSCE during the IP course and that helped me. In summary I examined patients a couple of weeks ago whilst I had a new GP and a pharmacist who is studying for the IP course with me! I felt totally comfortable which is a sign of how far my confidence has grown.

Stick at it guys...it's worth it in the end.

I contacted a Uni, saying I wanted to self-fund and could they help me find a DMP, did they have anyone interested in employing me locally after being my DMP, and they didn't even reply !!! The Ba****ds !!
        It just seems a very closed shop !
        Why can't the NHS do something about this?
        I'm more than happy to pay the 2 or 3k, I only work 3 or 4 days a week and have plenty of free time having no kids, etc ! So..... !

Someone above mentioned companies that recruit for GP practice pharmacists, could anyone PM or say who they are ? If it's the one up north, who offer free training days, I've emailed them several times to various different people in the company and again had no reply !!! Why are people so rude?!?!? And I asked about their training days for 2017 after i decided to phone them, and they said they had to wait till they had enough interest to make it viable to run them?!? Not sure I believe that!!! Anyone know them?

I'm very keen and eager ! But not getting anywhere and I have 20 yrs experience and a clinical diploma, so feel ready to roll !
        Any advice ???? !
        Last edited by mrlittlebigman; 1st, March 2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          The problem is everyone wants to get on the course. My DMP had someone offer him 10k to be his mentor. The RPS do say that pharmacists may soon be able to act as a mentor in their own right so watch this space.

I see. 10k. I might offer to work for them for free for a week but that would be it. 10k is just stupid! did the GP take it?!?! I always thought the old joke was " if you want a GP to read something, write it on a cheque! "
        Basically, aren't you just sitting in with them and discussing cases for 12 days. Hardly worth 10 grand?!?!? It's not that taxing for them to have you sat there and chat about a few people at the end of the day , is it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrlittlebigman View Post
          I see. 10k. I might offer to work for them for free for a week but that would be it. 10k is just stupid! did the GP take it?!?! I always thought the old joke was " if you want a GP to read something, write it on a cheque! "
          Basically, aren't you just sitting in with them and discussing cases for 12 days. Hardly worth 10 grand?!?!? It's not that taxing for them to have you sat there and chat about a few people at the end of the day , is it?
          No the GP didn't take it in fact he thought it was funny. I spent about 60 hours with my DMP and he taught me all sorts of things. One of his favourite tricks was to get me to listen to someone's chest or look in their ears and say what I'd seen. It doesn't seem much but I felt on the spot at the time. They DMP also has to go through the written folder and sign it all off. They are responsible for saying you are capable to be a prescriber so it isn't a small thing. I'm not sure I'd be s keen to do it to be honest if that's ever allowed.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Thanks for that info Admin, it sounds really interesting. I didn't realise it was that involved, ie. doing 'doctor -type ' things like that!

What would your DMP think of the offer to work for them for free for a week or two after the training on a 'project/audit' of their choice? thanks

Comment

To be honest a weeks free work wouldn't be worth all the effort and time they have to put in. If you're really interested then approach a surgery and sell them the idea that you'd be a valuable member of their team. I know pharmacists (myself included) who have done that and gone into prescribe for COPD, minor ailments, methadone etc. and they have a really interesting job. Today I referred a man to podiatry to get his toenail removed. I examined a patient to check if they had tonsillitis. I sent 5 or 6 people for blood tests and on and on. I honestly believe that every GP surgery in the country will eventually have a pharmacist because we are so versatile. I'm even considering doing the advanced practice MSc.

Comment

• mrlittlebigman
                mrlittlebigman commented
                Editing a comment
                From what you say you did, aren't you really then being a cheap 'pretend dr' No offence !
                ?!?!

I contacted Leeds uni today, I asked how many sessions in practice does an individual need whilst on this course?
              The person I spoke to didn't know. Does anyone know how many days you are supposed to be in practice shadowing/learning from your DMP?
              As a locum I haven't been able to get a GP to be my DMP but a hospital Consultant (in my area of interest) is willing to be the DMP. Will that work or does it have to be a GP?

Comment

• admin
                admin commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that will be ok but you need around 90 hours for the course at Hull and half of that was with your DMP. They also have to read everything you write (learning and prescribing logs) and sign it all off. I'd have thought a consultant would be too busy but great if you know one that's agreed to do it.

An honorary contract will be in place for the IP course.

Comment

• admin
                admin commented
                Editing a comment
                Will the uni accept that?

I've emailed the uni to find out whether they will accept that. Will let you know.

Comment

I was asking about the hours as I would need to be in the clinic the consultant runs. So just say about 40 clinics or so to get substantial prescribing understanding.

Comment

Some of the time (for the 90 hours) can be with other professionals so you only need around 45 with the consultant. It's best you check with the uni though. Good luck and keep us informed on how it's going.

Comment

Working...
                  X