Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amoxicillin and beer

Hi

Can someone set me straight, I've been prescribed Amoxicillin to take, this is just as I have a sore throat

Can I consume alcohol, will this make me drunker

Regards

Steve
  • admin
    Forum Creator
    • Feb 2006

Anti-biotics and beer

There is really no interaction BETWEEN alcohol and amoxicillin. Nausea would probably be the result if you drank a lot and were on amoxicillin. It is wise to avoid alcohol while taking amoxicillin because alcohol lowers your body immune system, so you are making it harder for the amoxicillin to kill the bacterial infection. So, a few units of alcohol would be o.k.

It won't make you any more drunk either!!!

If you are ever prescribed an anti-biotic called metronidazole don't drink a drop. It can have a very severe reaction, making you extremely sick amongst other things.

Hope this helps.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

• admin
      Forum Creator
      • Feb 2006

Drugs and Alcohol

Steve

Elaine's post sums up the answer very nicely. I would just like to add that this is not the case with all drugs. There are a great many drugs when mixed with alcohol can have adverse effects, and possible dangerous effects. Many people have died through mixing alcohol with drugs.

If you have any further concerns just ask.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Many thanks Elaine and Admin

:wink:

Comment

• doubledoc
          • Feb 2006

paracetamol

steve

sometimes when im sloshed and know that a bad head beckons th next day i stupidly take 2 Paras before going to bed. Amazingly this seems to work but I guess Im not being too smart ? Any thoughts ?

Doubledoc

Comment

• Apothecary
            Frequent Poster
            • Feb 2006

Paracetamol

Doubledoc

Taking two paracetamols for a hangover is ok. Never take more then two tablets four times a day. Leave at least four hours between doses. If you are a heavy drinker you could have underlying liver problems, and then paracetamol is not a good drug choice, as it can damage your liver.

Taken at the correct dose, in a healthy individual, paracetamol is a safe effective drug.

Taken is overdose it is a very dangerous drug, with the individual having no loss of consciouness, just a failing liver. A very bad way to go.

Comment

• doubledoc
              • Feb 2006

paracetamol

thanks apothecary
              good clear answer

like many people i cannot take aspirin, it gives me bad stomach ache, why is this ?

also i cant seem to get along with ibuprofen or any other form of general painkiller, none of them work for me and they makeme feel queasy ?

doc x 2

Comment

• admin
                Forum Creator
                • Feb 2006

Aspirin/Ibuprofen

Doubledoc

Both aspirin and ibuprofen are irritant to the stomach. If you have been drinking this will make it worst.

If you needed to use an anti-inflammatory, say for a bad back, you could try taking it after food. You should never take these drugs if you have a history of stomach problems, like a peptic ulcer for example.

People who suffer with asthma can also find that ibuprofen can bring on an attack.

Remember that just because you can buy a drug over the counter, it doesn't mean it won't harm you! If in doubt always ask the pharmacist - that's what they are there for!

PS Have you got two docterates?

Comment

• Pari
                  Loyal Member
                  • Feb 2006

I have something strange to tell you! :!:
                  when I saw these comments and topic the other day I was thinking to my self that since I was in the Univ. studying all those interactions between Alcohol and the medications and only, and only, one time when a Jewish man asked me aboutalcohol and his drugs I had never been in such situation, and I was about to forget this aspect!!! you know, since alcohol is banned in my country, Iran, people never ask the strangers about what kind of problems they may have in certain conditions... so just thank you for reminding me thinking about this!
                  Did you get Dear Elaine and Admin what sort of differnces I was trying to discover between I myself and a Pharmacist say in England?!
                  :idea: I will put this topic in the Iranian forum so that I can remind any Iranian pharmacist!
                  Good luck for all!

Comment

• admin
                    Forum Creator
                    • Feb 2006

The differences in pharmacy in other countries

Pari

Thanks for reminding us about some of the differences in Pharmacy between our countries.

Alcohol and drugs are often questioned by our customers, because alcohol is a part of our culture.

Comment

• Pari
                      Loyal Member
                      • Feb 2006

thank you any way reminding me the facts I've learned but never could use in the real job field! (yes, there's still more than alcohol! e.g. the closures!! that I'll explaine it more in Irania forum)
                      Great job, keepin touch with you all!

Comment

• sharifhs
                        Loyal Member
                        • May 2009

Re: Amoxicillin and beer

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Hi

Can someone set me straight, I've been prescribed Amoxicillin to take, this is just as I have a sore throat

Can I consume alcohol, will this make me drunker

Regards

Steve
                        In my country doctors don't usually perform bacterial culture to ensure the liable causative organism is not viral, so I can't understand whether it's appropriate to give Amoxicillin in sore throat as there may have the possibility of Epstein-Barr Virus. What do doctors in your country? Do they send for bacterial culture?

I'm saying this because amoxicillin may cause rashes in glandular fever, correct me if I'm wrong.
                        B.Pharm - 29th batch, Stamford University Bangladesh

Comment

• johnep
                          • Nov 2006

Most sore thoats reckoned to be viral. In UK standard is penicillin just in case the odd bacteria is hanging around.
                          johnep

Comment

• DavidS
                            Tai Chi Enhanced Ex-Pharm
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by sharifhs View Post
                            I'm saying this because amoxicillin may cause rashes in glandular fever, correct me if I'm wrong.
                            I thought it was ampicillin, but it could be both. I had glandular fever before amoxycillin was invented
                            ....just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                            X